Second Life viewer fails to load.

Dryzbryn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

When I go to load the Second Life viewer, I get an error message stating: Second Life  is unable to run because your video card drivers did not install properly,   are out of date, or are unsupported hardware. Please make sure you have the latest video card drivers and even if you do have the latest, try reinstalling them again.

I do have the latest drivers installed for my AGP. Have reinstalled twice, with no effect on loading. I'm running Windows7 Ultimate 32Bit. I have a Pentium4 dual core 3.00Ghz processor. Video is Intel 846 chip set with latest driver. Also have 2G RAM. Can anyone help me, please? 

Your problem is the Intel 846 chipset. Your Pentium 4 is old enough it does not have on board graphics. New i3, i5, and i7 CPU's have HD Graphics capability built into the CPU. The minimum needed to run SL is HD2000/3000 and with the latest viewers, especially the 64-bit version, even that isn't enough.

With the Pen-4 generation the 846 chip is likely on the motherboard. You are facing changing out the motherboard or adding a video card. Adding a video card is easier. You can get an NVIDIA GTX 580 on eBay for US$50 to $75.

See: https://secondlife.com/my/support/system-requirements/index.php? -- They make no mention of HD Graphics now.

While you have an AGP, you don't say if you have a video card attached to it. If not, updating that driver is no help.

2GB of RAM will barely run Win 7. With the viewer, that leaves like nothing for video. 8GB in 4-sticks is going for $36+/-.

I suggest you look on eBay for upgrade parts. For the Pen 4 generation parts are extemelt cheap, especially memory. Your 32-bit Win-7 maxes at 3.5GB. Most people put in 4GB knowing 0.5GB can'tt be used. But, mother boards generally require memory chips to be of the same type. So, no size mixing.

You can get the free CPU-Z and find your motherboard brand and model. Look up the specs and see what speed and how much RAM the board will handle. If it will handle 8GB, consider changing to Win-7 64-bit. You'll be way happier. You can get a Win-7 64 CoA for US$20 or CoA and disk for $40.

Your at the point you will have to upgrade... Add up the parts and decide if you can do the work. It may be cheaper and way easier to buy a Win 10 used computer for US$200-300.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

Your at the point you will have to upgrade... Add up the parts and decide if you can do the work. It may be cheaper and way easier to buy a Win 10 used computer for US$200-300.

Better to buy a used Win 7 or Win 8 computer, and do without the whole bloaty win-10 official licenced malware/spyware, that would just waste an excessive amount of the cpu/ram/disk space/internet bandwidth of the used machine.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2631 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.