Second Life for iPad and iPhone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Originally you had to open up ports on your firewall but they've done away with that.  All you have to do now is connect it to your Gmail account and it will automaticly discover your PC when you use it outside of your lan.  Yes its an extra step but I'd hardly call it jumping through hoops, and its a huge improvement over poking holes in your firewall. 

They seem to have improved the performance even more too.  I now find it to be very smooth on 4g, with only slightly more lag than playing over my lan.  Playing over a remote lan is as smooth as playing locally.

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't rule out the idea - the iPad 2 has a dual core A5 processor it runs infinity blade at a smooth 30fps and the graphics rendered are beautiful - my iPad runs faster and can in games more smoother than my intel Deleon laptop could ever dream yet I run SL at a cope able 10fps on it - I don't think is possible to get amazing fps and high graphics right out the box onto an iPad viewer but I'm sure a basic low graphics viewer could do some good with a retweaked interface for the iPad. Perhaps an inventory load cap ... I cant imagine 30'000 items being fetched and cached onto it.

Although SL renders live not like most games that load up as you progress. Considering you keep your iPad plugged in at all times... Mehh I'm going to keep dreamin :P

What I haven't seen in this discussion is whether or not the iPad supports OpenGL. Does it? I don't have one and I'm not inclined to spend time searching for that, simply because I have no desire to own an iPad. But, to all you iPad owners who believe this device can render SL, does it have the OpenGL implementation within it to do so?

I also saw Java mentioned in the previous posts, though I am unclear as to how that is relevant. As far as I know, Java is one of those "outside" technologies that Apple bans apps from having if they're in the App Store. Since you cannot load apps from outside the App Store (well, if you jailbreak the device, that's another story), if parts of a SL viewer needs Java, it ain't gonna happen.

Then there's the whole adult content thing.

Maybe a mobile viewer for the Android platform is workable or not, that's anyone's guess. But, from a legal and non-technical perspective, it's a non-starter for the iOS devices.

SappaDallagio wrote:

What I haven't seen in this discussion is whether or not the iPad supports OpenGL. Does it? I don't have one and I'm not inclined to spend time searching for that, simply because I have no desire to own an iPad. But, to all you iPad owners who believe this device can render SL, does it have the OpenGL implementation within it to do so?

All most all mobile devices support OpenGL ES 2.0. The only exception I can think of would be Windows Phone 7, but nobody buys that trash.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It's not as easy as you might think.

An iPad or any tablet for that matter can't be compared to a pc or even a laptop. The entire viewer will have to be rewritten. For android there is one, mentioned in this thread.

It would be good for the SL community if there was an official tablet version, but I wouldn't keep my hopes up and if LL ever makes one, it won't be as fancy as the pc version.

Quad core graphics? A high end graphics card has thousands of cores. It doesn't mean anything since all those cores are completely different. A6X processor? That runs at speeds we had in mid range pc's about ten years ago.

• 1 month later...

You can remotely access your PC and run SL on your iPhone, iPad or iPod just fine.

In your App Store search "Splashtop 2 - Remote Desktop" ... the app costs about $4.99US per year. This will give you full access to your PC through any of your mobile devices ... and it works great, I rezzed a car from my inventory and drove it!

Took about 5 minutes from dwonloading the app, installing on my iPhone and iPad, download the programme on your PC adjusting a couple of settings on the PC ... done!

... of course, what ever you have displayed on your mobile device will then be displayed on your PC ... so you do have to be a little careful if anyone else has access to your PC so ya don't get caught doing something naughty ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

There are some lucky ones around that have the Pocket MV App from the Apple store working.

I bought the "paid" version hoping to get better support, naaahh...!!:matte-motes-angry: 

So what do I do? I have a previous gen Samsung and run the Android Lumiya client. It is good for chat only, It does offer a viewer and is very limited.

Will there be a better, more consistent one for iPhone? Who knows...!!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

As said during "Meet the Lindens" with April and Oz, for iOS it is like this:

iOS client: work is progressing. No time frame for release, other than Soon™. for an “early alpha” version.
- This will likely offer log-in and chat capabilities only.
- At this point in development, is being looked at as a communications assistant, rather than a “full” client.

Source: https://modemworld.me/2019/06/26/sl16b-meet-april-and-oz-linden-summary-with-audio-and-video/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.