Second Life crashes @ Initializing VFS (NOT AppData issue)

Jessicka Graves

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is NOT an AppData issue, and thus, I'm at wits end regarding this issue. My friend has NEVER used or installed SL before, and it's crashing at VFS initalizing.

I've installed SL to find it crashing, and have thoroughly uninstalled SL, registry, app data and everything, with a restart and all that noise - I've been thru like 50+ pages of Google hits and they pretty much all have the same appdata-erase-and-it-works thing, but that doesn't work. I've done it again and again and again like every step-by-step guide states, for each viewer I've tried, and no avail. Still crashing every single time without fail.

Any idea's? There's no error message, Second Life simply doesn't open (crashes at Initializing VFS).

I've tried v1, v2, v3 (3.1, 3.2, and beta), Singularity, Phoenix, and Firestorm. Exactly the same across the board, except the LL-viewers produce a crash logger, but still never opens up the viewer window.

Specs:

Alienware m15x
Intel i7 Q740 @ 1.73ghz (I believe it's either 4 or 6 core)
6gb Ram
Win7 64bit SP1

ATI Mobility Raedon HD5850 (possibly 512mb or 1g**Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://ccs-gametech.com/images/smiley/cool.gif" border="0" alt="Cool" />

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Have you looked on the Second Life Jira for solutions or workarounds? I just did a quick "Windows 7 VFS" search in the Issues section of the Jira and received at least one full page of related issues. If there isn't an open issue regarding your VFS trouble, you might want to add one.

• 1 month later...

That's how LL works. They ignore the show-stoppers and pat themselves on the pack for **bleep** no one cares about. 

I have the same problem, and I know from experience it will be at least 2 years before they fix it. Guess I'd better get used to Firestorm.

By the way, there's a competing product called Blue Mars coming out soon. Hopefully the competition will get LL off their lazy asses.

I had the same problem and still do and it has nothing to do with internet connection either becuz my sister has it installed on her  laptop and it works. for now til this all gets fixed I did the AppData thing then installed the phoenix viewer which is working for me

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4339 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.