Second Life & Black Dragon viewer crashes after login.

Eryk OHare

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I recently got a new Hard drive, and installed Second Life. When I launched it I stayed for about 10 seconds and then it crashed. Absolutely nothing pops up, it just sort of closes. I have tried logging in with Black Dragon and it has the same problem.

Computer Specs

Graphics Card | ATI Radeon HD 5870

Operating System | Windows 7 64-Bit (Completely up-to-date)

I have updated my Operating System, cleared cache, run as administrator, and tried running it in Compatibility Mode. Does anybody have an idea on what could be the problem? That would be fantastic. :D 

Eryk OHare wrote:

Hello,

I recently got a new Hard drive, and installed Second Life. When I launched it I stayed for about 10 seconds and then it crashed. Absolutely nothing pops up, it just sort of closes. I have tried logging in with Black Dragon and it has the same problem.

Computer Specs

Graphics Card
| ATI Radeon HD 5870

Operating System
| Windows 7 64-Bit (Completely up-to-date)

I have updated my Operating System, cleared cache, run as administrator, and tried running it in Compatibility Mode. Does anybody have an idea on what could be the problem? That would be fantastic.
:D

What is the Black dragon viewer? Its not on the approved list.

What kind of memory do you have?

Are you running wireless?

what is your bandwidth set to?

if you open the viewer, before you log in, hit the help drop down and then the "about viewer name" button. You can copy and paste that info here and it would help us to help you more.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

What is the Black dragon viewer? Its not on the approved list.

It's the Materials viewer published by NiranV Dean, of Niran's Viewer. As I'm sure you know, viewers don't need approval in order to connect to the SL Grid (my understanding is that the TPVP in this case is seen as too confining). The OP seems to state that they tried the LL standard viewer also.

Hesitant to link to it here on account of herpderpy moderation, but check out his blog if you're interested.

2 4GB XMP Ram sticks

No, I am not running wireless.

If you are talking about how much bandwidth I have, I have unlimited.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Second Life 3.6.1 (278007) Jun 27 2013 12:41:07 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor (3214.36 MHz)
Memory: 8191 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1234
OpenGL Version: 4.2.12438 Compatibility Profile Context 13.200.0.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.12
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

Eryk OHare wrote:

If you are talking about how much bandwidth I have, I have unlimited.

Drake is referring to viewer bandwidth - this is typically set between 100 and 10,000kbps and can be found in the Network tab of your SL Preferences (Ctrl+P).

It might also be useful to know the approximate speed (typically in Mbit/s) and type (DSL/cable) of your internet connection.

It's possible too many accumulated notifications are causing you to crash. This is a known issue which can cause the viewer to disconnect within seconds of logging in. The solution is to delete the notifications file before logging in again as outlined here http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_install_crash

Ignore the fact that this is a Firestorm help page, the same applies to any viewer so just substitute Second Life or Black Dragon for Firestorm.

It could also be a HTTP Texture issue but that usually does not result in an instant crash as you describe but if the above fails to solve the issue, try disabling HTTP Textures in the Develop Menu.

More thoughts:

There is a report from two users that some of the latest AMD drivers, namely 13.4, 13.6 and 13.8 beta are crashing Singularity so as you probably updated to a very recent driver after installing the new hard drive, I wonder if that could be your problem too. I haven't seen any other reports of this though by anyone else or with any other viewer so just speculating:

http://code.google.com/p/singularity-viewer/issues/detail?id=962&colspec=ID Type Status Priority Stars Milestone Owner Summary Opened Modified

I'm still using 12.10 (ATI Radeon HD 5850) with Niran's Viewer. Haven't tried Black Dragon yet until it's sorted. Even Niran says "it's a super fragile, totally broken viewer". If nothing else works, perhaps try an older Catalyst.

The first thing you ought to do is to confirm that you can

go to Best Buy or Staple's, log in as Administator, by

using password 'trs80' and then download some viewer

that people have heard of. But considering the graphics

card, it's pretty much certain to be an ATI driver issue.

David Cartier wrote:

The first thing you ought to do is to confirm that you can

go to Best Buy or Staple's, log in as Administator, by

using password 'trs80' and then download some viewer

that people have heard of. But considering the graphics

card, it's pretty much certain to be an ATI driver issue.

Do not go to best Buy or Staples and download programs on their Demo PCs.. That will get you kicke out at the least and arrested  at the worst.

I'm reading your description as not being able to start the program, rather than a login problem. The Firestorm people have a good set of Clean Install instructions, which tells you which bits are chat-logs and stuff which you might want to save. There are a few differences to folder-names. Clean Install is worth a try, just to be sure.

The cureent version of Firestorm is different enough to be worth trying. If it's a graphics driver problem, Cool VL Viewer is worth a look, because there is still a maintained version based on an earlier iteration of the graphics code.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.