Second Life Not Responding/Crashing/BSOD

Gageisgone

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Am I the only one encountering this issue?

I have been running SL without any issue for months. Within the past 2 weeks my viewers have been freezing. It started out small where it would freeze for a moment and thats it. Then it started doing it more frequently and would start to not respond.

Now I can't even log in without it freezing and using up 100% disk. Along with this it freezes firefox and explorer and a bunch of other programs with it. I've even had it cause a Blue Screen Of Death twice.

Everytime it freezes I also notice my tower beeps. This all points to a hard disk issue, but the problem is that it only happens with SL. Everything else runs perfect.

I tried installing on another external disk but that did not work. I thought perhaps since cache was still writing to C:/ that I would move that. But the second I clicked ok to move the directory to my external I got a BSOD.

I've tried using default 2.0 viewer and 32-bit firestorm but neither seemed to remedy the issue.

The issue fixed itself for like 2 days when I uninstalled and installed the new update version of Firestorm. But now 2 days later its doing it again. I have no idea what the source of this issue is. But my guess is something with SL is bugged and causing my hard disk to fail.

I am running Windows 8.1 64-bit with AMD Phenom II x6 and 2TB harddrive. My graphics is a nVidia Geforce 1gb card... Its not a graphics issue because ive tried graphics on low and it still happens. And I have run on full graphics before without it freezing.

This is probably way OOS but I mean the source seems to be SL and I cant be the only one having this trouble

One possibility is that you installed a driver two weeks ago that is faulty or conflicting with something. If you download BlueScreenView from NirSoft it will load up the last mini dump file. Look in the 'Address In Stack' column and see if there is the name of a driver there.

Otherwise it is most likely a hardware error. The cause could be as simple as the machine is running too hot which can be caused by an accumulation of dist inside the box or a fan not running  or something blocking the air flow in the environment.

Or you could have a more serious problem. If it is a hard drive issue you may be able to fix it by running chkdisk (in file explorer go to the disk right click select properties then tools and check now you may need to reboot to get it to run). I assume that you have checked that your HD is not just full.

Could also be a sign of degraded capacitors on either the mother board or graphics card. Just because you turned down your graphics settings and it didn't solve the problem doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't a graphics issue of some kind. degraded/blown capacitors start off causing random errors before the fail completely

First check for over heating. SpeedFans and Open Hardware Monitor  will give you temperatures. CPU-Z qand GPU-Z will give you temps and other info about your CPU and GPU.

Look in the Windows Event Log to find out what caused the lockup.

Look in the viewer's log file to see if there is an error message. Start at the end and work toward the beginning of the log.

You'll find the SL logs here: C:\Users\[Win_Login_ID]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs

You need to use the viewer's Help->About... to get the info we need to help you troubleshoot the problem. You can open that item before logging in.

Grrrr..... I went out and bought an SSD and reinstalled windows and sl on it. And I still use my 2TB HDD for everything else as well as cache..

And it was running fine... but here we go again, slowly its starting to freeze. Just like last time it freezes longer and more often each time

WTF is going on.... I did check disk and it was fine, I have no logs left over from format, temperature is fine, and I run full graphics on other games with no issues 

• 1 month later...

I've been having the same sort of problems and in the same time frame...the last 2 or 3 weeks. Up until then, everything was running fine.  I have two PC's.  One running XP and the other Win 7.  Both of them started crashing when I was running SL with Firestorm.  Both of them started to slow down, so I downloaded the latest Firestorm viewer.  They ran slower than ever (especially when logged in the first time, fetching inventory, crashing repeatedly).  Tried different solutions, like turning off unnecessary security programs, clearing RAM, reducing in-game graphics detail, increasing in-game bandwidth.  Nothing worked.  I got several different viewers and installed them (SL Viewer, Kokua, Dolphin, and Singularity) All crashed at different points.  Singularity held out longest before it started slwing down and crashing.  At this point, I can't play SL on either PC. Here are the specs on my Win7 machine:

64 bit Dual Processor 3.6 GHz CPU

6 Gig RAM

NVidia GeForce GTX 750Ti

• 11 months later...

I Have the same problem not responding and freezes for a long period of time and the only way to close SL is with task manager.. I have tried SL viewer.. Firestorm and singulairty .. same thing .. i have used different computer the same on everyone one of them  not responding and freezes. its to the point i cant even dj anymore on SL and about to say forget it and just quit playing .. Linden Labs wont get anymore money out of me buying lindens.. its not worth it.. they need to fix the bugs with SL instead of always doing maintance on tues and thurs and never fixes anything.. when i first started SL  3 years ago i never had this problem the more linden labs does to claim they are fixing things the worse it gets.. if it works leave it alone till someone complains.. 

hearing your OS it's perhaps that the machines simply aren't up for the tasks anymore.

XP isn't suported anymore at all, not even by Microsoft.

Perhaps a light weight viewer will still work, or also possible.. your W7 could perhaps handle it for a while after a huge clean up ...disks, ánd hardware.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.