Second Life Crashes Constantly HELP!

Beca Staheli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2597 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My specs:

iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor
16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB

Currently Ive been running SL on the lowest settings possible, almost to the point where it looks downright terrible in the hopes that this will lead to less crashes happening. However, it seems like even when I do this the viewer will still crash pretty often, of course this will ocurr more frequently if Im in a crowded sim, but sometimes it happens in sims where its pretty empty.

One of the things that I tend to see sometimes is whole textures going blue or yellow entirely, which sometimes will indicate an incoming crash seconds later.

What can I do here to improve the performance? Ive been using the standard SL viewer, should I change to Firestorm?

• 1 month later...

I don't have any advice to offer I'm afraid, though you could check your maximum kbps in the preferences, it should not exceed your actual internet speed, latest drivers may also help and seems there are some known issues with AMD GPUs.

I've been experiencing constant crashes as well, but only since the most recent update, I use the official SL viewer but right now it seems to be crashing out on a regular basis, either telling me that the Second Life viewer has encountered a problem and needs to close, or it will just CTD without any notifications what so ever,

My specs are:

MSI MS-7816 motherboard
Intel® Core i3-4170 CPU @ 3.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.7GHz
12gb DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 Home Edition 64 bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
and a 1.3mbps maximum connection speed

I do get around 200 latency since I am in Australia, but it's never caused me any major issues before apart from the occasional lag storm.

Check your LOD settings if you change them (that in the Debug menu if I remember in the Linden Viewer -- if you are in Firestorm, there is an easy slider on the Quick Preferences bar).  2 is a good setting. The default in the Linden viewer is 1.25 (or I was told so); if you didn't follow one of those "turn your LODs up notecards that often come with items you buy you should be fine.

Lower your draw distance (that happens automatically with a low setting though.

Turn your setting so that you see more jellydolls in crowded situations.

Those are all very basic things which you may have tried already. You certainly could try another viewer but I would work with what you are used to and see if there isn't a way to improve. If you do try another viewer then I would suggest Sigularity or another older style 1.23 viewer as they are easier on your system. Firestorm is great but I am guessing it takes more computer resources than the LL viewer since it does so much more -- hence it could easily be WORSE, not better.

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2597 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.