SLGO Onlive Alternative?!

roxxyloves

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3123 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi hi,

I usually never post my own topics as a simple search ALWAYS leads me to my questions already asked and answered by others before me. However the search feature isn't working for me today on my phone so appologies if this has been asked many times before.

My question is about an Onlive SLGO alternative... Is there any that exist??? My computer is now considered out of date and becoming less and less compatible with Second Life every day. For months I was a paid member of SL GO as it was really the only way I could get into SL and stay in SL without crashing. Now I can barely do anything besides just stand or sit somewhere and use the chat feature.

As a designer in SL, I really need a quick and easy workflow. With my computer as it is now, things take 3-5 times as long as they need to which is quite discouraging. Please tell me there is an alternative cloud-based viewer out there! I need this in my SLife till I save enough to build my own computer this time.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Roxxy

Thank you for the suggestion! I have requested an invite to use this program. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon. Looks as if it is a pay-as-you go service of $0.013 per min. So I would get 12-13 hours of service for $10. It does seem a bit pricey considering for that price I was get 1 month of service with SLGO but honestly if it greatly improves my graphics (to take product photos) and decreases the time it takes for me to do what I need to do, then I see this as a great temporary alternative till I finish building a new pc.

I will try and come back with an updated response on how it works out if I am allowed to use this service for anyone else who may come accross this topic in the future.

Thanks again for all suggestions! It is greatly appreciated!

if you would save your 10$ for a few weeks/months you would be able to buy a mid/high range graphic card within a few weeks... so no extra costs.

It will be a short time of baring the slower sl, but worth it for a final solution i think.... goign to pay 10$ ánd haveing to upgrade later is double the costs.

Wow, yeah, that is very expensive. Wasn't SL Go much lower cost? I know they never got to break-even, but back when it was around I thought it might be almost cost-effective compared to the rapid depreciation of high-end graphics cards. But even then, that was only assuming unlimited free bandwidth.

[EDIT: Yeah, apparently SL Go was only US$10/mo -- which means it would have cost US$360 to use their GPUs for the three years that a high-end graphics card remains more or less "high-end", and those cards cost at least that much to buy. On the other hand, it only got access to those GPUs while running SL which may be fine for some, but obviously doesn't help content creators who need more graphics horsepower for other programs (or, even worse, machinima).]

I agree with you on this, however I am not just needing a new graphics card. Unfortunately I need a lot more than that which is why I would just rather build my own computer this time around. I have never built my own computer so I am still researching exactly how that is done and comparing all the parts and pieces, making sure they are compatible with each other etc.

Just to update anyone who may come across this topic, I have requested and gained access to both Frame and Bright Canopy.

I haven't done too much in depth research, however, they basically both run the same through your browser.

Bright Canopy - I was given 2 hours free without even needing to put in my payment details. After that, I would get roughly 11-13 hours play time for $10.

Frame - I was given 500 credits free of charge that I have 7 days to use (about 50 hours). After this, I would get about 20 hours for $10 a month and each additional hour after the 20 will cost a bit extra depending upon the plan you choose.

Overall, I initially prefer Frame as they seem more advanced and stable. I get different payment options with them. But since Bright Canopy is still in a sort of Beta testing phase, I assume the stability will increase and the price range will get better once they allow a monthly membership. As of right now, both options are not financially as great as OnLive was (unlimited access for $10 a month) however it is less laggy AND you have the ability to use voice as well as upload and download files to and from your computer and/or a cloud based storage like DropBox.

I am very impressed with the graphics quality of both, will be great for taking hi-rez photographs with ease. I can even use blender which much faster rendering speeds!

I´ve be on through Bright Canopy/Frame a few times, just wanted to give it another try, but currently I´m 'waiting for first available instance (approx. 3 minutes)' to get in. I´m on the Dublin server since a while, which apparently has problems.

First time for the first minutes I thought it might be a viable alternative but things were blurry when I moved or cammed, nothing near to my normal gaming laptop experience.

I hope it will smooth out and be a success, really, but I´d only use it if they move to a monthly subsciption, anyway.

still waiting to log in, well, I should be working anyway I guess  ;)

A couple of points vis Bright Canopy and OnLive's SL Go.

SL Go was a streamed service, hosted directly by OnLive themselves, allowing them to adjust their pricing models with a lot greater flexibility than might have otherwise been the case.

Nevertheless, as attractive as the pricing for their services was ($9.95 for SL Go and CloudLift, $6.95 for PlayPack, for example), the company could not generate the revenue it needed from it to remain afloat, and so it put itself up for sale as a going concern. As there were no takers, this eventually resulted in the sale of patents and IP to Sony.

For more historical background see: Why SL Go won’t continue, and OnLive opted to sell .

Where Bright Canopy is concerned, this is a cloud-based service hosted on secure third-party services and servers. As such, there is a lot less flexibility to be had in setting pricing points.

In particular, Bright Canopy utilises Frame, who provide the underprinning support for running the viewer as a cloud based application. In turn, Frame deliver their services (and Bright Canopy) via Amazon data centres. Both of these place certain overheads on Bright Canopy which must be met in order for the serivce to exist, and these costs have to be reflected in BC's pricing if it is to be in any way viable.

However, Bright Canopy is still in beta, and the current pricing is not reflective of pricing once the service is offocially launched. I'm not at liberty to disclose what this will be, but I can say that there will be a monthly plan available to users when the service officially launches in the very near future, and that to me, the amount payable under this plan appears very reasonable.

The best way to keep abreast of Bright Canopy is the BC blog: http://www.brightcanopy.com/blog/

• 2 weeks later...

Since July it´s possible to use fra.me to run your own applications personally btw, so you could install a viewer of your choice and use it without Bright Canopy, might be less laggy too if you´re closer to a frame server than to a Bright Canopy one.

https://fra.me/product-personal

Pricing isn´t really attractive though if you´d use it a lot, so there´s hope that Bright Canopy might get big enough bulk discount by them to have better pricing, and probably more convenient for people not wanting to install a viewer themselves and such.

https://fra.me/pricing-personal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3123 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.