SL on a old Laptop

Jemmabloom

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not sure about that exact model but in general MOBILE cards don't do well in SL and neither do "old laptops". You best bet would be to try and 1.23 style third party viewer like Singularity (there are others). I have had two notebooks that wouldn't run SL ^^.   The graphics card is usually the downfall. 

A lot of it can also depend on where you go in SL. There are highly optimized sims where I tend to get 50-60fps, and there are poorly optimized sims where I'm lucky to get double digit framerates.

If you plan to log in from an old laptop to explore the grid or go to busy clubs, you may be out of luck. 

If you plan to log in to hang around your own environments, stick to optimized models with low texture memory and you should be fine.

You can try to install a viewer and see how it works. If the software won't install, you are far below the Second Life System Requirements. If it preforms poorly or refuses to start, you are still below the requirements. Otherwise you can run SL. Trying isn't going to break anything.

Singularity Viewer is used by many running on older hardware. Definitely try it as others have recommended.

eBay is a great source of used computers. This morning they had a Dell Latitude E6420 14" Laptop i5 2.5GHz 4GB 320GB Backlite Win 7- Nvidia Video for US$100. Newegg is selling the same +/- model refurbished for $144. So, upgrading many not be as big an expense as you think.

There are some "Gaming" laptops that are pretty awesome for $400.

If you want to know about hardware for SL see my stuff: Second Life Computer Hardware.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.