SL Viewer Crash (BSOD Memory_Manager Error)

KralDaemon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been having no issues with my SL for ages, Stable FPS, Low Lag but then recently i've been getting BSOD crashes with the error: MEMORY_MANAGER in it.

I've tried deleting and even increasing the cache, lowered the Graphic quality to "Low" and increasing the Memory of the game to 2Gb but I still get the same BSOD issues. The weird thing is before it hits me I always get a Silent DC which is even more frustrating.

My PC Specs (While not great) are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.40GHz

4.00 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Any help would be great!

KralDaemon

BSOD is your PC acting up, not SL.Your PC seems to be a strange breed in the first place. A Core 2 Duo from roundabout the stone age paired with a 6xx NVIDIA gpu from last year, makes no sense. Anyway, if it was running fine until recently it  must be failing hardware. Most probably the RAM or MOBO.

Some recommendations:

# save everything and format your HD. Then reinstall Windows and all your software/data. Or better, install Linux. :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

# open up your machine and clean it thoroughly. Vacuum it out. Careful not too touch sensitive parts.

# if problem still occurs bring it into service

# only then should you think about purchasing new spare parts.

Anyhoo, coming to think of it, yes, by all means get new RAM. 8 GB is better than 4 and not expensive these days. And while you're at it replace your bottomfeeder GPU with a GTX 660.

If it is RAM failure, try to pinpoint it.

Turn off your computer and turn off the power supply!

If you're setup is 2x2GB in four slots, move the memory sticks to the available two slots. If that cures it, it's your motherboard.

If your setup is 4x1GB, remove one pair and see if it's fixed, if it's not, remove the other pair. That way you can determine if one of your sticks is broken.

If you only have two slots with 2GB sticks each, see if you can get your hands on some replacement sticks from a friend for example.

If that doesn't work, well then it's eh..something else.

KralDaemon wrote:

I've been having no issues with my SL for ages, Stable FPS, Low Lag but then recently i've been getting BSOD crashes with the error: MEMORY_MANAGER in it.

I've tried deleting and even increasing the cache, lowered the Graphic quality to "Low" and increasing the Memory of the game to 2Gb but I still get the same BSOD issues. The weird thing is before it hits me I always get a Silent DC which is even more frustrating.

My PC Specs (While not great) are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.40GHz

4.00 GB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Any help would be great!

KralDaemon

4 GB RAM isn't enough to run any of the viewers now, you need to upgrade it (if you can afford it). I have 4 GB RAM in my computer and for a month I've been monitoring the memory usage as well as my video card, with Nvidia Inspector.

For a month I was using the 'Projects Materials Viewer' and memory usage varied depending on how many avs there were on a sim. It also depends on how many programs and processes that's running on your computer. I have been closing the ones that weren't necessary, so with the necessary Windows processes running and Firefox running, my memory usage has been up to around 80% as highest. That's a lot and makes my computer sluggish, but I haven't had any BSOD's.

Yesterday, I installed Firestorm and Singularity just to compare and noticed that it didn't use as much RAM as the "PM Viewer", but my video card was affected instead, temperature arond 80'C and the fan running at 100%. So those 2 viewers are not an option for me, I mean RAM/Memory is so much cheaper to buy than a new video card.

Also yesterday, there were 2 mandatory updates when I logged in with the "PM Viewer", when logging in after the second one I noticed I was on the official 'Second Life 3.6.3 (279564)'...?! The temperature and fan on my GPU/Video Card went down to "normal", but memory will still be an issue. I didn't have time to check it out in a "crowded" (30+ avs) place, but I'm sure it will use a lot of memory. So I definetly need to uprade the RAM, but I can't afford it now, maybe after Christmas.

Later. So I have increased the virtual memory (Win 7), standard was 4063 MB, the automatic box was checked. Now I changed it to 'Own Size' and max size to 6093 MB. I'm logged in at Beachwood atm, there are 25-28 avs here. I have Firefox open and using the 'Second Life 3.6.3 (279564) Viewer'. Memory stays below 70% and GPU/Video Card, temp: 55*C, Fan: 45 % and GPU Load: 37 %. FPS around 64 and Ping Sim around 200 msec, no packet loss. It seems as by increasing the virtual memory does help a bit. But for an optimal experience, more memory is needed.

4 GB RAM isn't enough to run any of the viewers now, you need to upgrade it (if you can afford it).

Sorry, that is bull. When I look at my specs I only use a very small percentage of the availabe RAM. You seem to have some leakage in your system, maybe the OS or a bad viewer.

Orca Flotta wrote:

4 GB RAM isn't enough to run any of the viewers now, you need to upgrade it (if you can afford it).

Sorry, that is bull. When I look at my specs I only use a very small percentage of the availabe RAM. You seem to have some leakage in your system, maybe the OS or a bad viewer.

Maybe "bull" for you, looking further up in this topic, reading you're recommending Linux as the OS to use, I guess that's the OS you're using. Maybe Linux handle all the processes better than Windows, I don't know.

I have Windows 7 installed, I don't have any leakage in my system and I use the 'Second Life 3.6.3 (279564) Viewer'. By the way I'm pretty sure that most of the residents are either using Windows or Mac and only a small percentage are using Linux. I am NOT going through the hassle to uninstall Windows and install Linux instead just so that I can be in SL and I'm pretty sure that's not an option for others as well.

People come to SL to have fun, many of them aren't "tech geeks", they just want a viewer that works, not to reinstall their whole system. I will upgrade my RAM/Memory when I can afford it.

Voff Uggla wrote:

Orca Flotta wrote:

Maybe "bull" for you, looking further up in this topic, reading you're recommending Linux as the OS to use, I guess that's the OS you're using. Maybe Linux handle all the processes better than Windows, I don't know.

I have Windows 7 installed, I don't have any leakage in my system and I use the 'Second Life 3.6.3 (279564) Viewer'. By the way I'm pretty sure that most of the residents are either using Windows or Mac and only a small percentage are using Linux. I am NOT going through the hassle to uninstall Windows and install Linux instead just so that I can be in SL and I'm pretty sure that's not an option for others as well.

People come to SL to have fun, many of them aren't "tech geeks", they just want a viewer that works, not to reinstall their whole system. I will upgrade my RAM/Memory when I can afford it.

I run SL on my Lap Top with Win 7 Home Premium and 4 Gigs of Ram with no problem.  Maybe if I increased my RAM I could eek out a little more performance. 

My only bottleneck is the old Nvidia GeForce 8400M card in it. 

My FPS will drop too much if I try to run on high or ultra.

But you are right, most people just want to plug and play.  Sadly, many have been duped by the computer manufacturers who can call anything that they build "A Gaming Machine."  If there is anyone to blame it is them.  My Mother used to call liver tasty.  Yes it was tasty.  Like dog poo.  The computer manufacturers are no different.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Voff Uggla wrote:

Orca Flotta wrote:

I run SL on my Lap Top with Win 7 Home Premium and 4 Gigs of Ram with no problem.  Maybe if I increased my RAM I could eek out a little more performance. 

But you are right, most people just want to plug and play.  Sadly, many have been duped by the computer manufacturers who can call anything that they build "A Gaming Machine."  If there is anyone to blame it is them.  My Mother used to call liver tasty.  Yes it was tasty.  Like dog poo.  The computer manufacturers are no different.

Well I didn't buy a "plug n play" computer. I picked out every part myself from an online computer store. Mainboard, CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM, Tower, etc. They put it together and sent it to my home and that was only 3 years ago and quite expensive. Sorry but I can't afford to buy a new computer every 3 years so that I can keep up with the "improvements" Linden Lab keeps introducing.

Voff Uggla wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Voff Uggla wrote:

Orca Flotta wrote:

Well I didn't buy a "plug n play" computer. I picked out every part myself from an online computer store. Mainboard, CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM, Tower, etc. They put it together and sent it to my home and that was only 3 years ago and quite expensive. Sorry but I can't afford to buy a new computer every 3 years so that I can keep up with the "improvements" Linden Lab keeps introducing.

My reply was meant more as agreemnet with you and dealing with Orca's whale of a 4Gig commnet.  That one was a whopper.

My reply was meant more as agreemnet with you and dealing with Orca's whale of a 4Gig commnet.  That one was a whopper.

Ops, sorry. My native langauge is Swedish, somtimes I missunderstand the american/english expressions. For an example: "That one was a whopper.", I've no idea what that really means.

By the way, this past week, I've used both the LL viewer and Firestorm and noticed that the memory usage is much lower now. But my GPU/Video Card have gotten a much heavier load, temp upto 80*C and fan running at 100% at it's worst.

"Graphics Card: GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.2049

OpenGL Version: 3.3.0 and 1 GB RAM."

GPU's are so much more expensive than RAM... :-/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3861 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.