SL Viewer 4.0.2 won't detect AMD Radeon R9 M200X GPU

Kiomarou

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi. I'm having problems with my SL Viewer where it is just not detecting my dedicated GPU. Everytime I go to the About Second Life page under Help it just says Intel HD Graphics 4600. I can run the viewer fairly well under Mid graphics and Ultra even depending on the load but the graphics are still very stuttery compared to other MMOs. All the modern games I play on this notebook (Toshiba Satellite P50t-B) work no problem but SL is the only one that refuses to use my dedicated GPU. I have no function to change from IGP to PCIE injection in my BIOS and SL acts the same whether my dedicated GPU is present or not so I know SL isn't running my GPU via my IGP proxy. I want to use my dedicated GPU for smoother graphics and to prevent having to use my IGP which keeps overheating when playing SL, plus I want to be able to see the AVL like in all the other online and offline games I play. I've tried my Windows 8.1 dualboot with the OEM graphics drivers that came with my machine and the 13.5 bundle on the Toshiba website and both Crimson and AMD Catalyst for Windows 10 but SL just doesn't detect my GPU. I tried to "Launch" via the Radeon Crimson software and while Crimson says it'll use my GPU, SL just keeps saying Intel HD. I have no problem with OpenSim and my GPU used to work once, somehow so it's all down to an issue of detection. Disabling Intel HD just damages my resolution to font dpi ratio and when I try to run SL with it disabled SL just says no GPU detected. This does not make sense at all to me since this same viewer version used to see my GPU. Does anyone know how to resolve this?.Thank you.

Hi Whirly. Apparently my problem was a corrupt GPU profile file for SL that wouldn't delete itself and managed to fix it by removing temporary files and several tries using the legacy Catalyst menu under Crimson's Additional Settings in Preferences (Power menu). Though SL is only managing High on my GPU now, might be to do with the network lag I had yesterday, however. Not sure if the corruption was caused by the viewer or drivers / auto-updates as I didn't touch anything. I know SL did black screen on me twice and tell me one of my GPUs had crashed (can't remember which). Either way, I hope this helps others who had the issue as I know a few who did, too, just with SL Viewer. Thanks.

EDIT: My audio is making a spitting noise when I play SL and a music player when running AMD, not sure if to make a new thread or if this will be seen here. Not sure how to fix it. Lag meter has my client in yellow sometimes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.