Oculus Rift - CV1 support

Faerierain Lane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The simulators in SL do 45 frames per second max and potentially much less on a crowded or graphically busy region.

We always knew that, and it doesnt matter. For many users, including myself, SL worked fine in VR with a low framerate. I used the Rift DK1 in 2013. I used VR headsets before that. I use Cardboard and Durovis Dive on crappy smartphones with apps that have lower framerates than SL.

> Low framerate is a lame excuse of Linden Lab for their failure to keep the Project Oculus Viewer 3.7 - which was good - in active development. Version 4.1 was a broken mess and that had nothing to do with framerate.

As for false advertising, in 2013 LL (and probably Oculus) very likely had no idea the framerate would need to be so high.

Again, we knew in 2013 what the framerate of Second Life is, and for many of us it was no problem. It didnt make me sick. It didn't make me want to stop using SL in VR.  We had a user that worked fine with the Oculus Rift DK2, which was version 3.7, and Linden Lab promised to make it work with CV1, then royally screwed up. I could not care less about Sansar, High Fidelity, VRchat or Altspace. My friends, my land and my projects are in SL and that's what I want VR headsets to work with, low framerate or not.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope that LL can take another look at their Oculus project Viewer code.  There was just something badly wrong with the build that was put out last time.  It had all sorts of issues and did not look like the code that was emerging.  Even the settings were not connected to the 3D/VR mode of the viewer, yet commits just ahead of the project viewer build release were handling some issues in that. It would be good if LL could try again.

Meanwhile CtrlAltStudio was updated to work with Oculus SDK 1.5.0 by David Rowe.  CtrlAltStudio is based on a version of Firestorm 4.6.9 from December 2014.  Frame rates are good, and perfecty acceptable for exploring Second Life (and OpenSim) regions in VR.  Some testing and feedback is in these blog posts...

How to enter the scene with VorpX: After starting VorpX and logging in, bring up the VorpX “Settings” menu by pressing “Delete” key. In “Main Settings”, turn off “Virtual Cinema Mode” and press OK. Then zoom in with mouse wheel till you snap into mouselook.

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.