Occasional items unseen on LL viewer

Sister Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I use both the LL viewer and FS, but I'm wanting to use the LL viewer more as I get a better framerate when I do. The only thing that holds me back, and the reason I started to use FS more in the past, is the fact that on occasion, I cannot see some mesh items on the LL viewer. I was reminded of this yesterday... I went to a community centre late the previous night, and noticed that an item had been left with many others, for an alt of mine. I logged in the following day (on the LL viewer) to find the counter clear of all the items and figured I may have missed a deadline, but to make sure, I also logged in on FS on an alt. Sure enough, the items (mesh envelopes) were still there, but totally invisible to me on the LL viewer.

Is there a setting in the 'debug settings' that I could adjust to overcome this?

Hmm I can only take a guess at what's causing the problem without more information.

The mesh enveleopes may have bad lower LOD levels, or just a single triangle for lower LOD, so they will be invisible unless your camera is very close to them if your object LOD setting is low.

The LL viewer does have a much lower default object LOD setting then Firestorm.

On the LL viewer, Preferences -> Graphics -> Advanced -> Mesh -> Objects -> Move the slider all the way over to the right.

Can you see the envelopes now?

Note that the higher you set the Object LOD, the more performance impact it will cause.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a suspicion it may be server-side, as it seems to be happening with all the viewers I have tried. Not often, but after a TP something attached to the avatar can vanish. It shows as worn, but it's not there. Right-click doesn't work, and about all that works is to detach and reattach.

I couldn't try it with the LL viewer, as it crashes on my Linux system. To be honest, the LL viewer doesn't seem worth the hassle under Linux. It's incomplete (missing Havok code), unsupported, and has a UI that seems to have been designed by a color blind teletype operator. The way that TPVs just work under Linux pushes me in the direction of wondering if the Lindens know what they're doing.

This seems to be another one of those glitches that we just have to live with. Somebody will say, "It's your connection!" Trouble is, from everything I hear these glitches may arise from the balance between HTTP and UDP. I know these things seem to happen when the CDN is delivering huge amounts of error-corrected HTTP data, and UDP packets from the sim server just get dropped. There are other places on the net that use HTTP/UDP combinations, but they're almost the opposite, things like HTTP for control signals and UDP for streaming video where the dropped packets don't break anything.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.