New Update for Sl Today

Wycked Vella

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have put posts on the answer area and nothing is happening much to resolve this. Ive seen several having the same issue so figured id try here. When i try to launch the sl viewer after updating it, resintalling, uninstalling, clearing cache in app data, over and over multiple times it acts like its going to load then it just dont. No errors just doesnt load and this just started with this last update, i know some have had no problems but some of us are and wondering if anything is being looked in to find it, i do need my sl fix. please help?

Its not that it wont load things properly it just wont open up all the way just closes out. Every other client ive used works fine it just seems to be with this new update and others have same issue. Dunno maybe im stuck to have to use the firestorm or whatever. Would be nice to be able to use regular client tho.

Wycked Vella wrote:

Its not that it wont load things properly it just wont open up all the way just closes out. Every other client ive used works fine it just seems to be with this new update and others have same issue. Dunno maybe im stuck to have to use the firestorm or whatever. Would be nice to be able to use regular client tho.

See if you can use either of the beta viewers from this page:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

The release viewer has new code in it that changes the way graphics cards are detected but those beta viewers don't have it yet (as of this morning.) The new code may be causing problems with your setup.

ETA: Please add your comments to this JIRA:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-7776

Just for general info:

Today I updated to the latest official release:

Second Life 3.7.20 (296094)

It loads and works all right for me.

By the way, when launching the viewer there was a popup window saying:

Your-graphics-card-has-changed.jpg

Well, my graphics card hasn't changed. It has always been 'NVIDIA Corporation GeForce 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2'.
I guess the new viewer version detects the full complete name of the card, instead of the short version what was the case in the earlier viewer version.

I've had the same problem.  I was using the SL viewer for a few hours yesterday.  I went off and when i came back on, I was given the new viewer by LL in a download.  When I tried to open it, it just closed down while the message: "Initializing VFS" was showing.  I tried so many things to get the viewer to open, including deleting and reinstalling it, manually cleaning the cache, and completely deleting everything, including hidden files.  I did live chat with Linden support and basically was told to do all the things I'd already tried and I did them again, with the tech support person.

I downloaded and updated my video driver for nvidia after I was asked to do that by LL support.   It didn't help.  BTW, everything else I do on my pc was working normally and as I've said above, the SL viewer had worked normally that morning.

I asked the support person if anyone else was having this problem with the browser update and I was told, no, you are the first.

Obviously, this is a problem with the update and not a sudden problem with my pc.  It's not just some dumb coincidence for all of the people with this sudden problem as soon as the update was sent out.

I'm not happy that I spent hours trying to fix this.  It was very stressful and I don't believe that it has anything to do with my pc at all.

I still can't get the SL viewer to work, but the good news is that I tried the Phoenix viewer for the first time and it works.  I'd rather use the SL viewer because I'm used to it and I have a Premium account that includes support.  But that support failed.  If Linden Labs fixes this, I'd probably go back to the SL viewer, but I'm using Phoenix for now...once actually so far, and it's very much the same, just more complicated.  Without it, I'd be cut off from my SL friends and my nice house on the Mainland.

Two of those JIRA reports have intel graphics on old drivers. I wonder if a driver update will stop those actually crashing at "initialising VFS..." rather then just getting stuck at "Initialising VFS...", which a manual cache clear should fix if its stucking and not actually crashing.

I'm not going to suggest a driver update on the JIRAs yet till someone posts logs to see if it is a crash in the intel driver...

A small percentage of people are hitting this problem. The majority have no problem. We (users) don't know why. We do know the work-around.

See: http://blog.nalates.net/2014/11/11/second-life-main-viewer-failing/

The fix is to install another version of the SL Viewer from Linden Lab or a third party. The article explains how to do both.

I came into SL in 2008 and after the first year I started using multiple viewers. Some third party viewers have some awesome features for power users, like Firestorm. One has Oculus support: CtrlAltStudio. Others offer extended viewer programming: those supporting RLV; Firestorm, RLV, and others. Other viewers offer the old V1 user interface and yet are cutting edge tech: Cool VL.

Having a second viewer installed allows you to circumvent a problem like you found. It is also the best debugging tool we have. With two viewers I can quickly decide if the new install is a problem or if SL servers are the problem.

Thank you Vella for posting this. I feel relieved somehow to know I'm not the only one having the same problem. I thought it was my computer. I just found this forum and bookmarked it to keep me posted. I have been searching since yesterday when the problem began.

I am having the exact same problem, Chemisa. Only I'm using Exodus (in my experience with many viewers, Exodus comes the closest similar to the Linden viewer), although It can't view fitted mesh. :(  For now being able to log in is of utmost importance for me.

Here's a short update to my earlier post about the SL browser closing at the 'initializing VFS' spot.

I pulled out my older laptop, a really good old Dell that I used for a long time.  It's in very good condition, but it uses xp, so I replaced it a couple years ago.  I installed the new SL browser that some of us are having problems with.  It had exactly the same problem: it closes at 'initializing VFS'.  It never had any SL browser or a third party browser on it before.  After that failed I was wondering if Firestorm would work on that older laptop and it did, but that laptop isnt very fast and the framerate isnt good enough to actually use if I want to leave my house and move around in our world. 

I think this is interesting, because its 2 different computers with different versions of Windows, with different graphics processors...both Nvidia, btw.

I don't know if this will be any help to the tech people or other users like me that are reading the forum.  I still can't get the new browser update to run on my PC that I have been using for SL, but I have been using Firestorm. It seems like its about the same framerate as the SL browser...usually about 22 to 40 if it's not a busy area.  I'm getting used to it and I can see that it has some nice features, but I honestly like the SL browser more. For me its just easier to use and feels more friendly and maybe a little more modern. 

I've seen the post about a work around posted by Nalates.  Thank you for writing and posting that. I'll try that when I feel brave.  :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3413 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.