Multiple Instances of win_crash_logger Using High CPU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am having an issue with multiple instances of win_crash_logger using high CPU on the latest Second Life Project Bento 5.0.0.313876 viewer. The instances persist even after closing the viewer and I had to kill those processes to stop them. An alert from Norton Internet Security did pop-up a warning stating that it was a new file and it did not know if it was malicious or not. However, I did choose the option to allow access. 

I looked at the crashreport.log and got this:

C:\Users\(my name)\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\logs\dump-e93916ff-1068-8ae7-7add-cc4d500ba3f5\stats.log
2016-04-28T19:30:44Z INFO: LLCrashLogger::updateApplication: Sending reports...
2016-04-28T19:30:44Z INFO: LLCrashLogger::updateApplication: Sending to alternate server, try 1...

2016-04-28T19:33:02Z WARNING:#CoreHttp LLCore::HttpPolicy::stageAfterCompletion: HTTP request 01EC9DF0 failed after 8 retries. Reason: Timeout was reached (Easy_28)

2016-04-28T19:38:46Z WARNING:#CRASHREPORT LLCrashLogger::runCrashLogPost: Failed to send crash report to "https://login.agni.lindenlab.com:12043/crash/report"
2016-04-28T19:38:46Z INFO: LLCrashLogger::updateApplication: Sending to alternate server, try 2...

These messages appear multiple times in the log.

Computer Specifications:

• Windows 7 Home Premium
  • AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor 3.50 GHz
  • Installed Memory: 16. 0 GB
  • System Type: 64-bit Operating System
  • Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST

I also have the 64-bit Firestorm Viewer 4.7.7.48706 viewer installed.

I just had the same trouble with the Second Life Maintenance Viewer version 4.0.4.314579. A single instance of the crash logger used constantly 25% of the CPU, and wasn't closing after closing the viewer. I also had up to 3 crash loggers running at once one time. Uninstalled the Maint RC viewer, and did a clean install with the current release viewer and the crash logger takes 0 %, and is closing with the viewer.

The win_crash_logger process failing to shut down when the viewer logs out, or being very slow to shut down, leaving orphaned processes, which can eat a lot of CPU is a known issue (BUG-11795) & is being worked on.

Until this problem is fixed, when  you logout of the viewer, kill the  win_crash_logger.exe process if it's still running before you login again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fixed? I don't think so. 30 minutes after logging out of SL, (well, trying to log out. I almost Always have to force quit the viewer, and it's the latest default viewer update) win_crash_logger.exe is still eating up 50% of my CPU.

(Now it isn't; I just shut it down with task manager. Had to search the internet to find out exactly what was going on.)

Since you "fixed" the problem in the current default viewer, (mine), maybe you can tell me how I can use SL without this happening. It's beginning to be a crashing bore, pun intentional.

What does the win_crash_logger.exe actually do? I've only noticed it because it always fails to install when I update the viewer.

Checking the task manager I see it somehow has been installed at some point anyway, two instances taking up more than 25% of my cpu's precious time.

Anyway, I've just killed both instances along with the four(!) instances of slpulgin.exe and so far I can't see any negative effect whatsoever.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2874 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.