Most avatars only showing up as silhouettes?

honeydewxo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all, I've redownloaded SL after a five year hiatus. Upon using the SL viewer, I notice that many avatars are not loading for me, they are simply showing up as a silhoutte (however I can see my own avatar just fine). I've waited for them to load but they do not, I have no clue how to debug it. Also, it seems like the program takes a lot more time than usual to load objects, people, things etc. than from what I remember. I've tried using both my Mac and Windows 8 but still encounter these issues. Could anyone be able to tell me why this is happening or how to fix it? Thanks. 

I'm attaching an example of my view here: http://oi64.tinypic.com/v6i0l0.jpg

jelly babies, yes.

You can change the limit on render weight from the defaul 80,000. Turning the limit up or down makes very little difference for me, but I have a fairly high end machine.

Most clubs I go to  have more avitars over the default than not. But experiment, see what level is best for you.

• 2 weeks later...

The idea is you can set your threshold to a level where you still get good graphics performance. For example, with my system, around 180k is about the point at which my frame rate starts going down when AV's above that come into view so that's where I keep mine set. Around 80-90% of AV's render just fine. The advantage is I can have more non-imposter AV's because the really slow rendering ones aren't causing lag for me. The next release of Firestorm will have this same feature. Once that comes out, I expect there will be an adjustment period with some drama as people realize that amazingly detailed outfit they got from some well known designer is so complex to render that most people aren't seeing it at all. We aren't talking the ones just a little higher than that. I've run into people above 500k. It's like, sorry, you get to be a jellydoll to me and likely most everyone else.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2802 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.