Monitor turning off

Liaa Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone

I've recently been having a problem where my monitor will randomly switch off, and always while I am in SL. I have a desktop pc and the tower stays running, but the monitor just goes black and I have to reboot the tower to get it to work again. I have tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, and into a different socket, but that hasn't worked.

Some have said it might be the graphics card, which is around 4.5yrs old . . is there a way to find out for sure - other than changing it as i'm not too great with all of that!

I'm using Firestorm, and have turned the graphics down from high to mid. I will clean the tower out tomorrow but there is plenty of space around it and I turned the fans up. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I don't know what system info might be needed, but can post it if anyone asks for what they need.

Thanks for any help!

Lia x

Can you tell us what graphics card you have? Unless you bought a really good graphics card, 4.5 years is pretty dated and SL is pretty intense. Don't be intimidated by the process of changing out a graphics card. Tutorials are all over Youtube and seriously, you just unplug your current graphics card and plug a new one in. Just snap it in place. There will probably be a couple clips holding it in place, but I promise it is very easy. Just remember to touch something metal (like your tower) before touching the inside of your computer parts. (transfer of electricity)

I'd check Amazon for a graphics card with good reviews in your price range.

I should add, you will need to know what ports your monitor uses and make sure the new graphics card also has those ports. 

Do you have a computer friend who can take a look at your parts and give you suggestions on what to upgrade? Because at least for me, I rarely upgrade one part at a time. I usually buy a high end product that may be pricy but will last me for years. And at the same time I check upgrades for other things like CPU, motherboard, RAM, hardrives, etc. 

Thanks both

I don't know anyone who could do it for me; I have been thinking maybe I should look at tutorials and then worrying i'll mess the pc up and won't get online!

It's an Nvidia GTX 550 TI I think. The last pc lasted a lot longer with a worse card but I know sl is (in theory) getting better and more intense for graphics, so maybe it's time to get it gone! I still need to clean it, so will do that today & have a look where it is and how it goes in etc

I am considering a new pc but don't really want to spend out on one until this is no good, just in case it may have carried on for another year or two!

So far tonight, no problems and it's saying it is 4 degrees cooler on the display, so idk if that is why it's stayed on (shouldn't have said that!)

Thanks both x

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2851 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.