Mega-annoying continuous beep when running the viewer (SOLVED)

Skylark Starsmith

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

During the last few logins (maybe 2 weeks?) my computer has started emitting a loud, high-pitched, continuous beep. As soon as I move the mouse cursor into another window (explorer, task viewer, firefox...) it stops.  It is only ever there when my mouse focus is the Second Life viewer. It doesn't happen with any other program.

I've been through all the 'system sounds' on my PC. Most of them are off and none of them sound anything like this.

If I can't find a way to turn this beep off, I am going to have to leave SL, which I don't want to do. Can anyone help?

You haven't given us much to go on. Open the viewer and before or after login click HELP->ABOUT... and copy that info and paste it into your post. Use OPTIONS in the uppper right to edit the post.

In the upper right of the Linden Viewer is a sound icon. Hover the cursor over it and drop down appears. There are sliders for Main, Ambient, and other sound channels. Those should all be at about the 50% point.

I assume you have the Linden Viewer installed. Install the Firestorm Viewer and see if it does the same thing. This will tell us if it is the viewer or your computer.

If Firestorm does not have the noise, try uninstalling the Linden viewer and reinstall it. Whenever you are having problems and installing software in a troubleshooting process turn off the anti-virus during the install

Nalates, thanks. All excellent suggestions. Yes, it's the Linden viewer - a version from late 2015, as I'm on Windows XP Pro. It works fine, though.

After a lot of reading around, it turns out this beep is only indirectly connected with Second Life.  It is, in fact, a processor temperature warning beep. By the gods is it annoying - and it's meant to be! One of my 4 processors (quad core) was overheating as a result of the demands placed on it by Second Life. (The graphics card was working well within its limits, so overheating wasn't even on my list of suspects.)

So this was a heads-up that I needed to clean my cooling systems, which I have now done. Happy to report that all is well, at least for now.  Eventually the machine will need a professional clean.

I appreciate your help; cheers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2730 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.