Major SL Issue (unexplained crash during login)

Ayrin Breyer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey, I've been using SL for a long time now.

Using a Late 2009 15' Mac Book Pro, 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB of 1067 MHz DDR3. No problems with using SL aside from my lap getting burned when I stay on too long.

This morning, out of the blue, I try logging in using the latest version of Firestorm, and a few seconds after my world begins to rez, the viewer crashes inexplicably.

Tried logging in again, but this time the viewer crashed just before the 'Downloading Clothes' part of the login process was finished. This has remained that way every time I try to login again.

I lowered all my graphics settings, cleared the cache, tried logging in to a different region, no joy. I then looked at my computer, updating software, shutting down and restarting, verifying the disk and disk permissions, emptying out old programmes to make space, but still nothing,

I then tried downloading every other viewer under the sun, but got the same issues, with no crash reports other than 'would you like to report this to LL?'. I re-downloaded and did a fresh install of Firestorm but got the same crash.

Finally, I downloaded the SL Beta Viewer and managed to login to the beta test grid. My AV loaded, the world loaded too with no problems. Only thing is, my inventory is months out of date, as is my friendslist and I can't TP to my home or favorite sims. I've used my tablet and can login fine, chat to my friends and whatnot, but obviously can't see anything or interact with anyone.

If anyone out there has any idea what to do or what is going on, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Tried Beta viewer on main grid, same issue as before where the viewer crashes on the 'downloading clothing' part of the login process.

Tried logging in to beta test grid using Firestorm, and get the same crash.

Managed to log in to the test grid with the LL SL Viewer though, just can't log in anywhere else.

oh, right! Sorry about that - I read your post a bit qickly...

One thing to try - I didn't see you say you tried it :) - is to open ~/library/Application support/ and move the folder with the viewer name to the desktop (or delete it). The folder contains settings and avatar specific files like chat/im logs which you may want to hold on to.

When you start the viewer again, it will be like a new, clean install, so all settings in the viewer will have to be set again.

There is also one or more files in ~/Library/Preferences/, perhaps for each viewer which you also can delete before logging in again.

- Luc -

Edited to add in this:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/SL-Viewer-constant-crashing-HELP-please/m-p/1637197#M15742

Similar problem to your own? Worth a look at.  If not relevant, please continue reading this post.

Regarding logging into the Beta viewer, and everything being out-of-date, it will remain so unless you change your password and wait for 24 hours (and I am hearing from other Beta grid users that even then the inventory and profile etc. is not updating - so if you need to use Beta grid, send a notecard to Oskar Linden to get him to update your inventory).

If Luc's latest advice doesn't work - and I see no reason why it shouldn't work - and taking into consideration that you have tried just about everything you can, including using a lot of different viewers, I would remove every single viewer completely, ensure no files remain (any chat/IM folders I would save to an external drive so I didn't lose these), and reinstall the official Second Life viewer.  I would then bring up a log in screen, but without logging in, would go into 'preferences' and 'clear cache', reboot the computer, reset the modem, and attempt to log in again. 

Now, at this point, if you find you are still unable to log in, and if it still appears to get stuck at "downloading clothing", I would assume it is something within your inventory that is having a hiccup and I would submit a support ticket to Linden Lab, briefly saying you have tried everything - and would give a link to this forum thread so LL can see you've tried, with help from residents, but are completely stuck unable to log in. 

I say to use the official Second Life viewer, because if your viewer of choice is Firestorm, LL will just refer you to Firestorm website for support, and I feel sure this is a problem with server returning information to you; ie a corrupt file in your inventory.

Please continue to keep us up-to-date.

(And fingers crossed that Luc's advice works, so you don't have to go through Support).

Thank you for all of your help guys. The problem is still persisting, which suggests it's something in my inventory that's crashing me. I'll try and contact LL now and have to wait, I guess. Any ideas how long this could take?

...and while I'm at it, how/where do I submit a ticket? Never had to submit one before.

Ayrin Breyer wrote:

Small victory: Managed to find a Viewer that works: Cool VL. But it's pretty primitive in comparison to the other viewers and I'll still be trying to get the others to work.

Again, thank you for all your help, guys, I really appreciate it.

Thanks for keeping this thread updated. The fact you have been able to log in with a different viewer probably means it isn't the inventory issue that I thought it was after all. 

I've just re-read all through this thread too, and now am wondering if it isn't just your graphics card having a bit of a melt-down through wear and tear. 

Anyway, I'm just thinking out loud. Let's see how you get on with Cool VL. But what graphics card are you using, as a matter of interest?

I agree with you - a little bit :) - that it is a chance it may not be an inventory item causing the problem. I'm not quite ready go let it go... I wonder - and I don't know Cool VL - if ther are an item among some item types it can not load, and thus skips loading. I don't know if the viewers work like that...

Otherwise - yeah - a graphics issue. Could be...

- Luc -

This is where I do get mostly frustrated; none of us know quite how it loads, but it is possible a viewer could skip files. I think in view of the fact the OP has been willing to try all the suggestions thrown at them, LL would be more inclined to step in at this point, and if it does turn out to be an inventory item causing the problem, it will soon be sorted out properly.

Definitely a support ticket, with a link to this thread to show LL what has already been tried, not a JIRA.

I know when people go to submit support tickets, via the 'Help' option at the top of this screen, there is a reminder that there is help available from the residents on the forums, but the OP has done all of that, has been a joy to try and help actually, because, as you know, not everyone does come back and give updates on their situation.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.