Mac Related: Crashing regularly since getting new computer

Trixxie Nitely

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I updated to a new computer which is faster, better video card, etc and SL has been running much better in terms of lag, video quality etc EXCEPT now I am getting random texture errors I never got before and SL just closes. I have tried both Firestorm and Default SL viewer latest updates.

El Capitan running on iMac Retina 5K, 27-in | 4Ghz Core i7 | 32gb memory | Radeon R9 M395X 4096MB

This updated from a 3yr old iMac w/ only 2mb video ram

I don't get any error log - the viewers just close unexpectantly - I dont even get lag etc. The only times I have some warning are when I get a message at the bottom of firestorm that says couldnt load a texture - that there is a texture memory issue. I have never experienced a texture memory issue on the older computer.

This usually only happens in events, busy stores, clubs, etc.....especially if I cam around if I am on my own sim or less dense sims I am usually ok and I can be online for hours.....love to solve this issue driving me crazy. I have tried lowering my settings down to even as low as Medium...when i am in busy places I change # of real avatars down to 2-3.....draw distance reduced down to 32m....etc.

Use this computer for high end graphics in Photoshop and other Adobe products like after effects all which are pretty strenuous on graphics cards and memory w/o trouble....run WoW with high level graphics in 20 man raids w/o any video lag....so not sure what the deal is with this texture memory issue.

any help much appreciated ... thnks

edited: the exact wording for error is # textures discarded due to insufficent memory 1 (number changed depending on how many it discards)

"

Trixxie Nitely wrote:...

the exact wording for error is # textures discarded due to insufficent memory 1 (number changed depending on how many it discards)

You will see that message on Firestorm viewer shortly before an out of memory crash. You must be using the 32bit version of Firestorm if you are crashing from out of memory.

It is unfortunately very easy to blow memory & crash on any 32bit viewer in busy places, especially if you are camming around a lot.

If you switch over to using a 64bit viewer, you should never suffer from an out of memory crash again.

This will not help you for the LL viewer because there is no 64bit viewer version yet (though LL are working on getting a 64bit viewer out) but Firestorm has a 64bit Mac viewer.

Choose the "For SL & Opensim 64bit" at http://www.firestormviewer.org/mac/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.