Mac Help Please!

Beca Staheli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Would any Mac user with Mac OS Sierra know if the official SL viewer causes frequent crashes and if so, would it be safe and reliable to use another one like Firestorm???

My specs:

iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor
16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB

Apple changed the way they handle graphics several years ago (4 OS's) and LL refuses to adapt, so with every Mac update it gets more and more broken. You have a Radeon graphics card which is less of a problem. In everything you read on this, pay attention to what graphics card the person has. Like I have nVidia, which is beyond broken with Sierra and SL. :matte-motes-confused:

I've always had lots of lag problems with Firestorm but other Mac users swear by it. Gavin Hird is the only TPV developer I've seen trying to help with the Sierra + SL problems, so his Kokua viewer is definitely one to try. If the problems persist, try changing some of the graphics settings (not just low - ultra, but some of the more techy ones). Maybe also try the open sim version of Kokua, though that might be more pertinent to the nVidia glitch.

Cool Viewer and Kokua are the best for me these days.

Have a read of this thread for some of Gavin's advice on things like turning off shadows and occlusion and see if any of it helps you. I'm not sure how much is relevant to Radeon and what is primarily the nVidia thing.

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Anyone-tried-Apple-MacOS-Sierra-with-SL-Viewer-yet/td-p/3068974/highlight/true

Good luck.

LinuxGod4u wrote:

That is a useful post. Are Mac Os(s) anything like Linux??

A good question and not easy to answer. Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD which of course is very similar but not identical to Linux. So there are many similarities but also significant differences.

• 2 weeks later...

ChinRey wrote:

LinuxGod4u wrote:

That is a useful post. Are Mac Os(s) anything like Linux??

A good question and not easy to answer. Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD which of course is very similar but not identical to Linux. So there are many similarities but also significant differences.

No it is not based on FreeBSD. It has a BSD subsystem that originally was based on FreeBSD, but was certified as Unix 03 later. 

The Mach kernel, the IO system, the Frameworks, the UI and development tools, including Swift are not Linux like at all.  

When the viewer was originally started, this was more true, and is what the viewer code is largely still stuck in making it increasingly incompatible for each version of macOS. 

There is a development build for the macOS version of Kokua at my Bitbucket that many find more stable than other viewers. 

It does not have Jelly Dolls and Bento, but otherwise it should work in SecondLife for now.  If you have 512 Mb or less GPU memory, lowering this to 384 in the grapichs settings often increase stability. 

Also this version will crash in scenes with lots of mesh and many avatars, particularly with shadows and ambient occlusion turned on. 

These builds are signed with my Apple developer ID so you know where they come from. 

• 8 months later...
On 14.01.2017 at 1:21 AM, Beca Staheli said:

Would any Mac user with Mac OS Sierra know if the official SL viewer causes frequent crashes and if so, would it be safe and reliable to use another one like Firestorm???

My specs:

iMac (Retina 5k, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 Processor
16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB

hello, Did you fix the game that you weren't able to play because of Imac?

Edited by filiznaz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2358 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.