Looking for information on configuring my router

friscolives

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I use SL primarily on my home computer, which is connected to the internet via a physical cable, broadband. However often I log in on my laptop using wifi in my house. I know this is not the ideal situation, but frequently the need arises. I have a router which basically supplies the signal to my laptop, also going to my PS4, xbox and my daughters laptops. Obviously the wifi is divided down quite a bit since it services multiple devices.

I read somewhere that many routers dilute it even further, and that I should disable the factory settings to get improved performance. I'm not overly knowledgeable in this area, so I was curious if anyone would have a link to a website where I could probably read more about it so I can learn how to go about doing this.

Thanks in advance.

if everything works i would keep it , if you don't know what to adjust in the setting the chance you mess up is 99% ..and with several attached machines you won't get a huge gain in speed, all want the full connection.

the only thing you can try to find is a webpage with other settings, google your router's brand name in google ...for example: (brand) router settings

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. If the viewer will at least show the login screen, get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

In this case we need information about your router and gateway. That info is not in the Help->About viewer info.

New routers (1 to 2 years old) should be just fine without any setting changes. Windows should work well with SL witout change.

Digital communications don't really 'dilute'. The channels can be congested by lots of Internet traffic. So, some one watching a movie or downloading a big file can slow your connection to SL. You can tell if that is the problem by running a performance test at SpeedTest.net. Run the test at a time you would be on SL to see what performance is availalbe.

You don't say why you think there is a problem, need to adjust the router. The cliche: don't fix it if it isn't broke comes to mind...

If you want to test your connection read: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3260 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.