Linux viewer failing to install.

arabellajones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been having a problem with another viewer, and was advised to check if it still happened with the standard Linden Lab viewer.

I run Linux.

I downloaded the current Linux version.

According to the README it's a beta. I suspect that the file needs updating, because the file names are consistent with the current viewer. I followed the instructions, and all I got was a brief black window before the program closed.

The original problem?

There's a distortion affecting the avatar on the hips, a little below the dividing line between the upper and lower body textures, visible on pants with a slightly lower waistband. It's slightly behind the front/back seam.

There are all sorts of flaws like this in the avatar mesh.

What is strange about this one is that it vanishes while in shape-edit mode. There are also signs that it briefly vanishes during the texture-baking process. Just changing a clothing texture produces some odd shifts back and forth in the avatar shape.

I have now managed to figure out the original problem.

The distortion was coming from the Breast Physics, which can also jiggle the buttocks and belly. The basic avatar is, arguably, a bit of a caricature at mid-range slider settings, and low slider settings combine with even "subtle" physics settings to produce new distortions.

And the breast physics effects are turned off in the shape editor mode.

It's a very localised distortion, and many items of clothing just don't have visible detail in the affected area.

I do know a little about this, and the basic polygon structure of the avatar mesh could be improved without any change to the UV mapping. Mostly, the ancient mesh structure works fine, better for skin than for patterned fabric, but it's been pushed to the limit.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.