KirstenLee Viewer Development/Downloads Ended

Cincia Singh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

huh?

Firestorm: V2 Interface (largely customizable), likely to update to V3 code soon

Cool VL: V1 interface, V3 render engine (yes, that's mesh), OpenSim compatible

Astra: V1 interface?, V3 render engine, OpenSim compatible?

Singularity: V1 interface, V3 render on the way, OpenSim compatible

ah, I believe that should be remedied shortly... I imagine Firestorm will end up using whatever Kirstens was using, or the current LL version (assuming that's allowable), and Henri is holding out for an open source library for it (and knowing him he'll probably write it himself)... the others, I'm not sure, but singularity is likely to port from Henri's.

viewing/editing only at the moment, no uploads yet. the only thing V1 about Cool is the interface... under the hood it supports almost all the same things (missing a bit of support in multiple alpha layers), and several things LL has yet to incorporate.

ETA:
the other V1 interfaces also have similar feature support, but as noted, no one else has upload support at this time (to my knowledge)

PS
Never trust organizations, only trust individuals... even if you trust every individual in that organization.

I will hang on to my current Kirstins viewer for as long as i can. In the area of graphics, or simply how the SL world looks on your viewer, this viewer has been head and shoulders above the rest. (Not to mention being able to view  SL in 3D!). V3 has slowly become a good reliable alternative. Kirstin should be applauded for all the hard work and time commited to the project and the commitment to a quality product.

Kirsten was for a long time the only alternative to the official viewer for people that didnt like the viewer 1 experience.

when Phoenix started developing Firestorm it was said that if they wanted to compete in that "league" they would have to be better than Kirsten, and Kirsten had a lot of experience modding Viewer 2, now they have no competition from other third party viewers, i hope that they make good use now that they are the only ones there.

does anybody know about any other third party viewers based on viewer 2/3 around besides Firestorm now that Kirsten has stopped?

With the long bug-list extant for V2/V3, and the particular graphics features of Kirstens, not just Mesh support, this is going to hurt.

Kirstens, as far as I can tell, is based on a slightly earlier version of the code than the Linden viewers, and seemed to have dodged whatever killed the V3 frame rate. I was using it to do Mesh uploads.

Kirstens is going to be missed. And, while I'm hopeful about Firestorm, right now it feels as though I might as well give up on Mesh 

• 1 month later...

please not that kirsten may be restarted if his crowdfunder project takes off >

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/investment/the-kirsten-s-viewer-project-480

and the main thing he will try to put in a new version of kirstens is stereo 3d support which most others arent working on anymore, I personally would like to see SL in stereo with headtracking on a big 42" 1080p high refresh rate 240hz 3d tv, it might make a big difference to immersion ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.