Keep Crashing when I try to walk or TP

WanLi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have serious problems with Sl, and they happen with V3, Firestorm, and even when i tried going back to the earlier Phoenix viewer; I have tried to get this fixed for several days, but it seems to have stumped everyone so far:

Symptoms:

• Constant crashes --  I can stay inworld for a max of a few minutes in busy sims. SL crashes quickly whenever there are more than a small handful of avatars nearby.
  • I can remain inworld awhile as long as the avie does not walk or TP from "home" (the entry/landing spot upon log-in.)
  • TP-ing to busy sims causes the avatar to (1) freeze -  not move at all; or (2) turn but will NOT walk straight ahead or back, sideways or fly ; or (3) will walk for awhile in quiet sims but even then, after walking short distances, the avie will keep on walking (walking motion in place) until the program eventually crashes and offers the IM-Chat only option

My system specs:

• HP Pavillion p6120f 64 bit, about 2 years old
  • 8 MB RAM, Pentium dual core E 6300 @ 2.80 Ghz  Intel G33-G31 express chipset
  • Just installed a NVIDEA Zotak GT440 Video card at recommendation of Secondlife Viewer support group
  • Windows 7 Home premium with all recent updates
  • Realtek RTL8168C Gigabit Ethernet NIC
  • 684 Gigabit HD 391GB used, 293GB free NTFS
  • Was NOT able to successfully do a system restore to go back 2 weeks in time when I didn't have these problems. (restore attempt failed for unknown reasons)
  • Windows Firewall installed + AVG Antivirus
  • All Internet connections are set to recommended levels
  • Network Access Protection Agent is not in use
  • Recently Defragged
  • No warnings or problems identified in troubleshooter but device manager is showing some kind of error with the Saitek magic bus root enumerator (Saitek is my USB joy stick, and it is not currently plugged in) all else seems to be working ok
  • Event logs show "mystery errors" and warnings i don't understand. I see some of them related to Adobe Reader.
  • RAM disgnostic test showed no bad memory

Firestorm Status when I am sitting at my 'home" in a quiet sim:

• FPS jumps between about 26 to 60
  • Bandwidth use fluctuating widely from low of 20 to 150, mostly hovering around the 60's - 80's
  • packet loss 0% and time dilation is   .962
  • Ping 95
  • Ktris Draw 209 /fr and averaging about 13,000 f/sec
  • 2311 objects
  • Texture count 1520
  • At a busier sim, I was able to turn my avie with the movement controls but was unable to walk. The data at that sim:
  • packet loss there was also 0%
  • Ping was 56
  • FPS meter fluctuated from about 20 - 36
  • Interestingly... the bandwidth meter upon arrival initially fluctuated actively between about 40 - 50, but then within a minute of arrival, it suddenly dropped to zero and stayed there until the screen grayed out and I crashed.

What I have tried so far:

• Cleared the caches several times
  • Tried using different viewers but same problems
  • Tried using an alt - no improvement
  • Tried stripping down - I did a character test which basically took my avie back down to "Ruth," and there was no difference,
  • Contacted my ISP and had them change the frequency broadcast of my new wireless router
  • Reset the brand new faster modem that now runs at up to 56 mbs (note that my other Internet activites work fine)
  • Added a larger antenna for the PC to get a stronger signal to the wireless adapter (always have at least 3 out of 5 bars of signal strength, usually 4 bars, often all 5)
  • Bought and installed a new 1 MB graphics card that everyone agrees is "up to the job" (Zotak  GT440)

Changed multiple settings and preferences as recommended by Ph/FS Viewer Support group members, including:

• Lowered the draw distance
  • Lowered render quality to lowest setting
  • set max bandwidth to 500 KBs and reset cache size to 512
  • Lowered the texture memory from 1024 to 512 MB
  • Did a clean uninstall of all viewers, reinstalled Firestorm Mesh beta
  • I ran a diagnostic test and there was no problem found with RAM
  • I was always able to connect to a sim, I just can't GO anywhere when I get there (especially if it is a busy sim)

WanLi wrote:

• TP-ing to busy sims causes the avatar to (1) freeze -  not move at all; or (2) turn but will NOT walk straight ahead or back, sideways or fly ; or (3) will walk for awhile in quiet sims but even then, after walking short distances, the avie will keep on walking (walking motion in place) until the program eventually crashes and offers the IM-Chat only option

The viewer isn't crashing, it's getting disconnected due to high packet loss and/or high latency. Double check your networking hardware, any software you have monitoring or using your network (firewalls, anti-virus, bittorrent), and test your network connection (don't trust what your ISP says).

I have tried SL with my wlan a few years ago too, but it didn't worked fine, so I switched back to my cable.

After that it worked good again. Friends of me told me at that time, they have tried it too with wlan but

sl needs too much bandwith and so on. Maybe Leliel is right, but I think SL don't works well with wlan.

Thank for your suggestions but as you can see from the list of things I have already tried, it is not the router. The ISP guys already tried running a hard wire between the wall and the computer, bypassing both the modem and the wireless router, and the same problem still occurred.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have Windows 7 64 bit Intel cor I7-3770 @ 3.40 MHZ with 16.0 GB or ram.

SL and Windows 7 started of great till last few months it keeps crashing

Systems are :blue screen

It only does it with any SL viewers Im at a lost is SL program not suitable for 64 bit Windows 7 computers?

I have tried: changing Ram around,different viewers,Changing to other network,Antivirus on/off, looking at all drivers,

still Im at loss to what it is.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4259 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.