Is SL viewer compatible with Mac OS X Lion?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Seem to have problem downloading clothes after updating to Lion. I appear as a cloud, while others see me with a female body, even after emptying the cache. Firestorm viewer has no problem... 

Just wondering if anyone else running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 has any problems with the new SL viewer?

Ok, this seems to help: Unchecking Enable OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects and restart SL. Will update post if it comes back.

Yes, I'm using the LL viewer on Lion. No issues because of the combination that I can say is because of that particular combination.

What you describe sounds to me to be more network related. It could be to do with Lion in the sense that Lion has had an effect on your  network connection, but probably not in other ways.

First - clear the viewers cache in ~/library/Caches/Secondlife/.
Then, in the viewer, deselect http textures in the advanced menu (which you enable in me->Preferences).
If you are on a wireless connection, try to use a cable to connect to the net.
In the viewer, press Cmd+Shift+1 and have a look at the packet loss number at the top of the performance panel. If it stays high - about 3% or more - over time, then reduce your max bandwidth in me->preferences->setup. Try different settings as there is no excact setting that works for everybody. Also, some packet loss is OK, but you want the number to be as low as possible.

As well as the above, make sure you run 'Repair disk permissions' in Disk tools, perform the maintenance scripts for your mac regularly. Onyx is a tool which makes this easy. 

Finally, make sure the quality of your internet connection is up to the task by running the test at http://www.pingtest.net/.

Disabling VBO should not really make objects rez when they don't while it is enabled. Depending on your computer, keeping VBO enabled can increase your fps, so it is worth trying different settings to see what works best.

Hope you get things working.

- Luc -

• 4 months later...

I have the problem of logging on and just when i get to Home or last location, SL is gray, forzen and I have to quit...

Things I have done and still have that problem:

1. I changed my bandwidthfromt 5K, to 7.5K and to 10K (didn't help)
2. Unchecked the
Enable OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects and restarted SL. (didn't help) 
3. I went to clear the Cache: Library/Caches/Secondlife and there wasn’t any cache files located there.

4. I have uninstalled SL several times and downloaded new copies, fixed permissions, rebooted, etc.

I have a new graphic card upgrade and all my other apps run fine.

I have a very fast (A rated according to that suggested Ping site), internet connection.

I am able to log on with an alt that has far less inventory.

I am able to log on with only one viewer, Singularity. Phoenix and Firestorm have the same issue.

I prefer Viewer 2 because of the many handy time saving features (I'm a builder), but have been trying to log on for 2 weeks trying everything. I have I overlooked anything or is there something else I can try?

Hi Gman.

You can find where the viewer stores the cache by looking in the viewer prefs, in the Advanced, or maybe in the Setup, section. You should find a place where you can set the cache size and the location. You can clear the cache directly from this preference pane if you wish.

But I don't think this is your problem. If you are able to log in with an alt, I don't think clearing the cache will help. It's more likely some setting file or other file specific to the one avatar that is the problem. I suggest you navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/Second Life/ and move the folder named after the avatar in question to your desktop and then log in again. This will recreate the avatar folder with new files, and hopefully you should have no issue. If everything is OK, delete the folder on your desktop, but first you may want to move chat and IM logs from this folder back in to the new one created.

Also, the bandwidth numbers you state seem a bit high. If you are on a wireless network, 5-10K is way to high. The wireless can not transfer that much data quick enough, and you will most likely get packet loss as a result. On wireless networks you will probably get better results with a max bandwidth setting around 1.5K. On a wired network you can keep it higher. I don't know the ideal size, though.

- Luc -

• 10 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.