Intel GMA HD compatible?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey folks, 

I am just wondering if Secondlife is compatible with the onboard graphicscard.
I have a basic Toshiba C660 1F1 laptop with i3 processor with onboard Intel GMA HD graphics.
It just crashes on start-up (Initializing VHF) and tells me to report.

Have tried deleting all data of SecondLife and restarted and to no success, so I was thinking if it's just my laptop -
and that it's not compatible. 

My old computer is fine with Secondlife, but has a Nvidia Graphics card. 

Does anyone have a clue what's going on? I'm not a huge computer whizz, so It's a little tough for me to figure out. >.<
Regards.

You're welcome. If you find a few computers you like, you can post a new thread here with details of the computers or links to them online and you can get advice on how well it's likely to work in Second Life. The better your processor and graphics card, the better it will be in SL assuming a good network connection. Wired connections are less prone to problems than wireless.

When looking at graphics cards, the first number is the series, the second and third are their position within the series so for example, an ATI Radeon HD 6450 would be an entry level card while a 6870 is a high level card. Avoid dual cards in SLI or Crossfire, great for gaming in general but not for SL, instead go for a higher single card if SL is your priority.

Yes, performance with an ATI card is just terrible. I mean, who would wish to endure rubbishy graphics like this while exploring Second Life? :smileywink: :matte-motes-evil-invert:

Tripping through the woods.jpg

ATI Radeon HD 5850 - Ultra Graphics w/ Lighting & Shadows & Ambient Occlusion - 38-42 fps at time

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

Yes, performance with an ATI card is just terrible. I mean, who would wish to endure rubbishy graphics like this while exploring Second Life? :smileywink: :matte-motes-evil-invert:

Tripping through the woods.jpg

ATI Radeon HD 5850 - Ultra Graphics w/ Lighting & Shadows & Ambient Occlusion - 38-42 fps at time

That's very strange, because I have the exact same graphics card chipset:

system.jpg

It's also a Radeon HD 5850 with 1 GB RAM, but I haven't found any viewer that allows me to render shadows at an acceptable framerate while having anti-aliasing enabled.

I've tried Kirsten's viewer (where I can't seem to turn off DoF, everything is blurry all the time), Phoenix, Firestorm and Snowglobe. If I turn on shadows, AA turns itself off and vice versa. On top off that, alpha textures have white outlines when I enable shadows, and even without shadows, I only get 20-25 fps at ground level. Probably because I had to disable OpenGL Vertex Buffer Objects as well as the Catalyst AI, otherwise I had all kinds of strange graphics bugs.

And despite all my tweaking, I still had strange star patterns in the clouds until I installed an older version of the Catalyst software (10.9 from 2010, which seems to be the only version that plays nice with OpenGL). Can you tell me what kind of viewer and which Catalyst version you're using? Because I'd also like to make this magic happen. That's why I bought my new Acer Predator gaming PC, after all.

PS: Another reason for my low fps is probably that I use two monitors @1920 x 1200 and 1600 x 1200. But I had the same dual monitor setup on my old dual core PC with a GeForce 275 GTX, and it never seemed to be a performance drag.

Well, my post was a little tongue-in-cheek. That photo was taken in V2.8.1 using the Dynamic Richness setting in the Editor but it's not all as rosy as it may seem. I too cannot get anti-aliasing to work with Lighting and Shadows. If you look closely at the photo, you'll see small jaggies on the tree trunks. Since I posted that photo I've noticed an issue with long hair on my alt...some of it with alpha textures partially disappears with Shadows enabled. I'll have to experiment a bit more with that.

I have no issues though with AI, VBO or star patterns in clouds and never did. If I disable VBO with Shadows on, I lose about 6 fps. I know about your star pattern issue as you commented in thread http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/Why-do-I-see-flashing-quot-checkerboard-quot-effect-in-some/qaq-p/782189 but I never ever saw that problem. My AI is set at Quality with Enable Surface Format Optimisation ticked.

You'll find the toggle for DoF in Kirstens in Graphics > Misc. Took em a while to find it too as it seems to be on by default.

I had some issues with Shadows when using Catalyst 10.9 so I updated to 11.5 and it seems to be much better, although as I updated viewer same time, I was never too sure whether it was the new viewer or the new Catalyst that fixed it but I think the Catalyst.

This is my spec.:

CPU: Intel® Core i5 CPU         750  @ 2.67GHz (3910.98 MHz)
Memory: 4087 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit  (Build 7600)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series [5850]

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1077
OpenGL Version: 4.1.10750 Compatibility Profile Context

My CPU is watercooled and overclocked to 4100 MHz,. Perhaps that explains the higher fps. 

~Nyll~

Thanks, I'll try those settings :)

PS: I've also noticed the issue with hair alpha textures that you mentioned. All alpha textures appear to be hacked off, as if the viewer switches to 1 bit alpha masks when shadows are enabled. I can live with that, but I badly need anti-aliasing. I'll try your settings for now and buy a GeForce GTX 570 or 580 somewhere down the road.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4181 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.