Improved Camera Settings (Revisited)

Penny Patton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2694 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone!

I've updated my old tutorial for improving the SL camera placement.

What does this do? It makes SL feel a whole lot larger for starters. Low ceilings inside of buildings are no longer as big a problem as they are with the defaults, and SL generally feels a lot more immersive. These camera placement settings are based off of popular camera placement settings for third person videogames such as Fallout and Skyrim.

You can check out the tutorial here:

http://pennycow.blogspot.com/2016/11/the-improved-sl-camera-revisited.html

I've used this method for some time and it's great apart from one significant snag. 

Make sure you note down your chosen debug settings on a notecard or maybe even on an RL piece of paper.  Then if the viewer resets to that scary default one with the two small pictures of buildings in the middle, and you lose some or all of your preference and debug settings, you can re-enter them.

I'm happy people enjoy the settings. ^^

Conifer Dada wrote:

I've used this method for some time and it's great apart from one significant snag. 

Make sure you note down your chosen debug settings on a notecard or maybe even on an RL piece of paper.  Then if the viewer resets to that scary default one with the two small pictures of buildings in the middle, and you lose some or all of your preference and debug settings, you can re-enter them.

I've tried to convince LL, Firestorm and other viewer devs to include alternate camera settings as a preset you can choose, so people no longer have to manually enter the settings in every time they upgrade or install a new viewer. So far the only Viewer to do so is Black Dragon, and that viewer made improved camera settings the default.

I recommend prodding the developers of your favourite viewer and letting them know you'd love to see these settings included.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.  So here's a request to LL that they make preferences and debug setting persistent through updates etc.

In my case the settings do persist if it's a normal update, it's just if the viewer defaults to the one with the two buildings on the login screen, then I lose some or all of my presets.  It varies - for instance sometimes my chat preference colours survive, sometimes they don't.  But the camera settings always go with the two buildings login screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Firestorm does have a back-up system for settings, but I don't know how well it handles debug settings.

I don't remember just how the folders are named on other operating systems, but my Linux box has .firestorm and ,firestorm_x64 in my Home folder. I vaguely recall Windows had settings and cache in different places. Anyway. there's a subfolder with my username that stores logs and some settings, other settings affect all users of the viewer, and maybe it's enough to back up everything except the actual cache.

So backups are possible, might include debug settings, but it looks as if the Lindens don't care enough to bother. I may write a shell script

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2694 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.