How Can I Get Rid of Visual Message

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This thing is back again in the viewer, and hugely annoying.

I'm not someone who has a lot of bling and glam on, it changes constantly depending on whether or not I've attached something to myself, often something I'm testing like a tea cup, and I don't want this Too Much Information all the time in my face.

I can't seem to find the place on the menu to turn it off -- if it exists.

Perhaps the Lindens figure by giving you this information, it will help reduce lag. What's happening is that if someone has too much of this stuff, they are rendered as clay figures, colored grey or green. This is annoying too because usually I see them for a minute, then I don't, then they're back again. A busy sim like an event will be filled with these clay people.

I guess the Lindens have to have this due to server strain.

Sounds like you are on the avatar complexity build. You can increase the threshold at which the jelly babies are rendered. The setting doenst reduce impact on the server rather it reduces impact on the viewer and your computer. If you don't want many jelly babies be prepared to set the value pretty high.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

This thing is back again in the viewer, and hugely annoying.

I'm not someone who has a lot of bling and glam on, it changes constantly depending on whether or not I've attached something to myself, often something I'm testing like a tea cup, and I don't want this Too Much Information all the time in my face.

I can't seem to find the place on the menu to turn it off -- if it exists.

If you mean the visual complexity notifications as shown on this JIRA issue , as far as I can tell there is no way to turn these off.

I agree they can be a bit spammy sometimes when you are trying lots of different outfits & attachments.

It's worth filing a JIRA issue requesting a way to disable the visual complexity feedback.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

What's happening is that if someone has too much of this stuff, they are rendered as clay figures, colored grey or green. This is annoying too because usually I see them for a minute, then I don't, then they're back again. A busy sim like an event will be filled with these clay people.

There is a bug in the Quick Graphics viewer that causes this to happen more then it should.

The problem is that an avatars complexity will change depending on how far your camera is away from it. So in a busy scene where avatars are moving around a lot, they will often flicker very quickly between a normal state and the jelly baby state & it can be quite visually jarring.

There is also no way to totally disable seeing jelly baby avatars currently. Even if you have Avatar Comlexity set to No Limit, you will still see jelly baby avatars.

I filed a bug report for this problem at BUG-9962 - [Project QuickGraphics] Avatars often permanantly stuck as jellybabies even when Max complexity = No Limit

I really hope LL fix this problem before Quick Graphics goes into release. I suspect there will be lots of complaints about it & personally I find it very annoying.

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

I really hope LL fix this problem before Quick Graphics goes into release. I suspect there will be lots of complaints about it & personally I find it very annoying.

Indeed, it's not working correctly at all -- the jellybabies appear and disappear seemingly at random, very often affecting avatars with complexities much lower than the selected threshold -- sometimes briefly, and often until the feature is overridden completely for that avatar (which, too, is temporary, the wording of the option notwithstanding).

Is there some chance this mess could go to production as-is? It's so very far from ready that I haven't bothered even trying to find a reportable pattern in its utter bugginess. But they've been flailing around with this feature for long enough that -- could it be? -- they may have convinced themselves to release it, for lack of anybody paying it any attention anymore.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Indeed, it's not working correctly at all -- the jellybabies appear and disappear seemingly at random, very often affecting avatars with complexities
much
lower than the selected threshold -- sometimes briefly, and often until the feature is overridden completely for that avatar (which, too, is temporary, the wording of the option notwithstanding).

It's so very far from ready that I haven't bothered even trying to find a reportable pattern in its utter bugginess.

The only reportable pattern I could find was the repro I filed in BUG-9962 , but that definitely doesn't cover all the cases of random frequent jelly or invisible avatars who should not be jelly or invisible.

Blowed if I can find how to consistently reproduce it though, other then just using the viewer and you will see it happen easily. That does not make for an actionable bug report though.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Is there some chance this mess could go to production as-is?

I asked about this at the Friday TPV meeting.

Voice was broken for most of the meeting so the reply was in text.

From the meeting transcript:

[2016/01/29 12:33] Whirly Fizzle: Will the problem with QuickGraphics displaying jellies when you have max complexity set to no limit be fixd before it's released?

[2016/01/29 12:34] Oz Linden: We're thinking about that, Whirly...

[2016/01/29 12:34] Whirly Fizzle: Ok. I consider that to be a huge problem lol

[2016/01/29 12:35] Oz Linden: The problem with those cases is that there are 2 more factors that go into making the avatar a colored impostor, and they're not obvious enough.

[2016/01/29 12:35] Whirly Fizzle: Support will suffer Woman Wink

[2016/01/29 12:35] Oz Linden: We will probably change the thresholds on those, and maybe make the response to them different somehow

[2016/01/29 12:35] Whirly Fizzle: There has to be some way of disabling jellies totally for those who do not want to see them.

[2016/01/29 12:35] Hope Dreier: Support always suffers.

[2016/01/29 12:35] Oz Linden: Maybe

[2016/01/29 12:35] Oz Linden: still tbd

[2016/01/29 12:36] Oz Linden: but we won't make it the default viewer until we've done _something_ about that so that it happens much less often

[2016/01/29 12:36] Whirly Fizzle: Ok cool

[2016/01/29 12:37] katydid62 Resident: jelly babies would kind of ruin an overall "experience" if they showed up unwanted.

[2016/01/29 12:37] Whirly Fizzle: It does.

[2016/01/29 12:37] Cinder Roxley: babies ruin everything when they're unwanted, whirly.

Video recording of the meeting:

That's somewhat reassuring, I guess. Thanks Whirly.

I honestly can't tell that the Max Complexity slider is connected to anything at all, so it failing to work at "No Limit" isn't surprising to me. But yeah, if that worked, at least there'd be a way to ignore all the rest of it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2978 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.