Help with improving performance on SL.

Fearo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I've just got a simple question about how to improve performance in SL. As in speed, I know that I've got a pretty low-end computer (laptop) as I don't expect the best quality out there. Yes, I have browsed around google to find the answer to my question, and naturally a lot of people have asked the same question here on the forums. The answers are just a bit too technical for me. I'm not too tech savvy, but I do know most of the basics. but a dumbed down answer would be appreciated. LOL. i just want to improve my performance, I'm so tired of jumps and low response times it feels so laggy 24/7!

Here are my graphics card specs; http://prntscr.com/9mkdmo

And my system info; http://prntscr.com/9mkewf

thanks for reading! :cathappy:

EDIT: Also I just thought I should add; yes I've went into graphics setting on my viewer (firestorm) and adjusted the settings to low. Have also fiddled around manually in those settings as well to further lower graphics. Just in case anyone thought I hadn't already done so! 

EDIT: I did a speed test, it was suggested by a lot of others. I did my speed test from my current location to San Fracisco as it was suggested. Here are the results; http://prntscr.com/9mlclq 
Are those results bad?

So your speed is fine, and your system isn't terrible...except in one area. Your RAM. Second Life viewers can regularly take up 1.5 - 2 GB of ram. In a system with only 4 GB of RAm you will run out fast and it will start swapping memory to disk. Especially if you switch away from SL to other applications, like web browsers. My biggest suggestion would be to close out of all progrms when using Sl and not swap away unless you really have to. Make sure you are using the latest version of FS as I know the plugged some memory leaks. 

You have a slow CPU, limited RAM/memory, and a lame video card. Sorry about being blunt.

Video Benchmark: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+8400

Your network connection is more than adequate.

You are going to lag. You can turn down a number of settings and get a bit better performance, but you are going to lag.

We could go through a long and tedious explanation of what to set how. It is faster and more productive for you to manually find your best settings. Any way we go about it you need to experiment with your rig to find what works best on it. So, let’s just start with experimenting.

Do the experiment to find your best settings by logging into a deserted region, Furball or any other region without other avatars and little stuff to download and render is ideal. You don’t want what others are doing to the server affecting your results. Wait until everything has rendered and downloaded.

Next set your graphics level to LOW.

Press Ctrl-Shift-1 to open Viewer Stats.

Next click on the Advanced button to reveal the individual graphics settings. You don’t need to know what they do, but it helps. You just need to click things on and off and watch the stats FPS. Changing these settings you can l work your way toward ULTRA.

Start with the SHADERS section and start enabling items. Ambient Occlusion and Depth of Field will probably have a serious impact on performance. When you see items drag down FPS consider disabling them.

Shadows are likely out of the question.

Water Reflections – minimal.

Avatar Physics – leave this at low. This has to do with bouncy boobs.

In the right hand column play with the sliders. Move them higher until you see a drop in FPS then back them off.

You’ll have to play with these sliders until you find a balance of performance and quality that is acceptable to you. Once you have something you can live with, take a screen shot with the setting an Stats panel.

Now move to an area with some avatars. Try the right-hand column again to see what improves your performance.

A big factor in appearance and performance is Anti-Alias. You’ll find it under the Hardware button. You can experiment with it to see how well your video card handles it.

The same with Anisotropic Filtering, but it has less impact on performance. If you can’t see a difference in the render quality, leave it off.

This should get the best settings for your taste and hardware.

There is a viewer coming that allows you to save graphics settings. Firestorm has the feature now. The feature will let you have different settings for different activities and switch easily.

The best upgrade you could make to your system is probably memory. You could get the free program System Explorer and watch to see how many Page Faults you have. Lots of them mean your computer is short on memory. So, adding memory in that case would make a big difference.

Whether a laptop or desktop adding memory is easy.

With a desktop you could change your CPU and video card cheaply by buying used on eBay. The CPU change is a bit technical. There are videos on YouTube that show how to do it. Watch one and see if you can handle it. Video cards are plug-in things not at all technical, but the software change gets complex. With Win10 it is not bad. And… you could probably find someone among your friends to help you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.