Help with SL Viewer Beta features

Torley Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

Like to stay on the cutting edge? Have you noticed something new while testing the SL Viewer Beta and are wondering where to learn more about it? Keep these resources close:

If you're using the primary/main/official SL Viewer, you can always start here for Second Life help. As features become stable, help articles get moved to the Knowledge Base.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Torley you have been my hero since a long time. Via you i learned SL, because i always understood that SL for you has always been much more than your job because i did understand where you came from, and how you found SL one day to elevate your freedom and expression from a certain personal position.

However, i wished, so dearly wished that v2 is being thought over deeply. I started to try it with 2.4. That gave me constant micro freezes. I skipped 2.5 and went to 2.6. That had a pile of other showstoppers like constant freezes, and then 2.7.2 finally worked but has the beta search and then came 2.7.3/4/5... That has the general problem of tanking general fps. 

I was asked via a tickets to try 2.8, but i'm fed up with 2. It is not a matter of getting used to the UI coming from V1.

I always have found V2 screen cluttering and unpractical therefore not really adding value to the immersive experience. The UI simply is horrific and HTTP textures slows down my load. Ok the latter i could turn off and and i at least have given 2 a try. But... pfew darn is that thing a pile of rubbish. Mind that my computer is exactly spot on concerning recommended specifications.

Torley i am not quiet alone in this. V2 is a very hated viewer and is being hardly used by the majorty because of both the UI and too many showstoppers for too many. This is well know.

What i simply don't understand is why LL just keeps acting as if all is well. 

I truly love your work Torley, but i gave up all about V2 and many with me i'm sure.

Linda Brynner wrote:

V2 is a very hated viewer and is being hardly used by the majorty because of both the UI and too many showstoppers for too many. This is well know.

What i simply don't understand is why LL just keeps acting as if all is well. 

LL already answered multiple times to this. I don't think you don't understand the reasons, I think you don't agree. Which is legit, but you shouldn't assume that LL manage Second Life the way you like.

I see you mention what the majority of SL users does. Do you have any reliable data about viewers usage? Can you link?

OK, this one is simple: The ability to stream sound is really awful in the newest release of 2.83 beta. Several radio stations that used to play on my land, have stopped doing so. They still work. I've tried them in Shoutcast and on my phone. Other radio stations play just fine. Bandwidth does not make a difference. Has any one else run into this issue.

Also when I go to other sims, the streamed music sometimes cuts out intermittently. Other times it is just fine.

Radio stations that play:

Broadway World Radio: http://72.13.82.11:21688

WRVO http://pubint.ic.llnwd.net/stream/pubint_wrvo

WICB http://www.live365.com/play/327162

Radio stations that no longer play:

Deepmix.ru http://85.21.79.93:8040

New York Jewish Radio (Lakewood NJ)  http://173.193.205.96:9016

This is a very weird problem. Does any one know how to fix it.

Not as strange as it looks. The stations that don't play have 4 digit ports. The ones that do either have no port number listed or else have five digit port numbers. I didn't see the pattern until I pasted the links. Now the other reason this may be happening is that stations move around. The last time I "fixed" my radio was a few months ago. I can see if what is running in my script matches what I pasted above. That would make me look like a fool, but at least I'd solve my problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Torley,

I found a group for Beta Users it is called "Beta Viewer: Live Grid*" it would be great if everyone that used Beta would join so we can talk about the latest bugs and work arounds that we found.

For example on Beta 3.0.3 when you crash so does the crash logger.

CrashLog.JPG

Hi there,

I recently started getting the message "Couldn't locate item in database" when trying to rez clothes that I own. The error message would state "Couldn't rez new pants" or "Couldn't rez new shirt". I relogged and was advised to clear my cache files. Now I can rez my clothes properly  but I still get the error message "Couldn't locate items in database " whenever I log on or rez my clothes. Help please!

Angie Mornington wrote:

I am not able to get notecards, landmarks or objects from group notices, I click and nothing happens.

It is a bug. See JIRA VWR-22772 - click WATCH. The more watchers the sooner LL will work on it.

If you haven't filed a JIRA item before read the instructions so you will know what information they need. Add your information as a comment to the existing JIRA.

• 1 month later...

I'll be able to switch from Snowglobe when I can get the same interface or better for my needs.  Until then, I refuse to be forced into using a third-party viewer just to have a viewer that's usable for my needs.

The biggest issue is web profiles in the viewer.  I like the web profiles and they're a great bonus when used in an external browser, but they should not replace the original kind of profile in the viewer.  Sometimes I consider switching and learning to deal with all the annoying things, but then I remember that there's no option for original profiles instead of web view profiles.

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where to post this - so thought I'd start here.  First, I LOVE the SL Viewer Beta, it just is terrific.  The one thing though that I find frustrating and perhaps there is a better way to do this is that I wish there was a way, as there is in Firestorm, to link the "Local" chat with the rest of the conversation windows.  It doesn't have the "link" button as it does in Firestorm and was a great feature way back in Viewer 1.  Is it possible to add the link feature to the local chat window so that it can link with the rest of the open conversation IM and Group windows?

If there is a new/better way to do this in the new Beta Viewer, can you tell me how to do it?  Thank you so very much!!

-ZoeRose Eiren

Chat and IM logs are saved to my computer, but going outside of SL to see a message is not acceptable.

I have been installing viewer 2 and after a very short look around, uninstalling it and waiting for several updates before trying again.  Viewer 3 looked very promising with the side bar gone.  But the IMs as they stand are unusable to me.  I will go back to my TPV and check back in a couple of months.

Thanks for your help.

It sounds like the problem here is that I just don't know what I am doing, and I am OK with that, learning is a good thing.  You say “Every previous session will be seen INSIDE the IM Tab”.  So my question is, where is that IM tab?  Say I close an IM to accomplish something and now I want to get back to the IM tab, where is it?  Where do I open my IM conversations to look at them?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3860 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.