HMD + TitanX = Unplayable

PyroSteel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i7 4770k

32gb ram

TitanX 12gb vram

everything besides basic shaders are turned off, and everything is as low as possible. This results in 40fps, which is unplayble in the Rift. I've checked the oculus forums and it seems nobody is interested over there, so im trying here. Is anyone able to play this on new gen cards?

I didn't have that problem. But i thought maybe the game was reading my card incorectly and allocating the wrong resources. (An old titan rather than the newer) So i did try that gpu table fix, but to no avail. Even whithout the Rift running, i get about 40fps on high settings and about 12fps on the highest settings. To get a steady 60, i have to drop the game to Medium...

Its frustrating. This card plays everything on ultra, absolute highest settings available in all the games i'v thrown at it (including witcher3 and Gta5). Its odd that a 12 year old game brings it to its knees begging for mercy. The most advanced thing this game uses is an old style of anisotropic filtering.

The other games you play were all designed by teams of graphics saavy people, employed by the game design company, working together towards specific performance goals (like FPS), and with tools to measure their progess.

SL is nothing like that. It's a wild, wild west where most of what you see has been designed by SL residents with minimal experience in 3D design, limited knowledge of and ability to collaborate with other designers, and only minimal ability to gauge the efficiency of what they make.

I can't think of a recipe that's more resistant to technological advance!

PyroSteel wrote:

everything besides basic shaders are turned off, and everything is as low as possible.

On better cards, lower often does not mean better FPS.

Check under Preferences -> Graphics -> Advanced.

On your system, if you have Hardware Skinning unticked, your FPS with be poor.

Under the hardware tab of Graphics settings, make sure you also have "Enable VBO" ticked. Disabling VBO can drop FPS by half on Nvidia systems.

PyroSteel wrote:

i get about 40fps on high settings and about 12fps on the highest settings. To get a steady 60, i have to drop the game to Medium...

That does not sound right at all for your system.

Is FPS that low on all regions?

On Default High settings on Second Life 3.7.29 (301305) Apr 27 2015 11:41:55 (Second Life Release) I average about 60-70 FPS & I'll only drop as low as 40 FPS on a really busy region.

My system is nowhere near as powerfull as yours - Intel® Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz (3491.94 MHz), 16 gig RAM, GeForce GTX 750, Windows 7 64bit SP1.

Thats the fps in very low population, not intense areas. Here are some screenshots...

this is a simple area, low population (4 i think at the time) and im getting 32fps (not in the rift even)

low.PNG

And here are the ultra settings. Same area. Again, not in the rift. 

ultra.png

that dip you see in the statistics is from alt+tabbing out of the game and back in.

I have a beefy machine because i work in Blender with Unreal Engine and Unity ocasionally. I need the horse power. So you can understand my frustration when i was playing Secondlife smooth as butter in the rift between mid-high on my old gtx670 (3 year old card) at 80ish fps. Now with my brand new TitanX, i cant even pull 40fps on the lowest possible settings.

im just frustrated is all....

*EDIT

in the rift, on the lowest settings im getting about 20fps in this same area.

@ Madelaine McMasters

I understand that during an areas initial loading the game will run slow while the area fetches everything. But the rendercalls and buffers are well bellow normal on my end, and once everything is cached locally they shouldnt be an issue, which means its not the objects, textures or scripts in the area bogging my machine down. Its a poorly optimized engine that appears to not be compatable with the new generation of video cards. Esspecially since my old 670 ran everthing fine with high fps. This LOW fps is only a problem on my new Titan.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.