HDMI Kills Second Life Viewer?

Ravin Viper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I am having this very odd issue with HDMI and my Second Life Viewer. I am not sure what it is, or what is going on.

Normally on my PC, I use Two DVI connections on a XFX R7970 Black Edition Double Dissipation. Duel Monitors and I ran Second Life just fine with no issues.

However, if I attempt to use just HDMI on its own, Second Life Viewers lock up. This includes any third part viewers also. (Exodus, P. Viewer, Ect.) The Second Life will run, but the box (application) that pops up for Second life is just the box, the middle is blank and white, and I have to forcefully close out of it by ending its process.

At first, I thought maybe it was a software issue from AMD. I disabled my HDMI and went back to my duel monitors, but second life viewer refused to load properly... It blew my mind, backtracking through everything and when I finally physically unplugged my HDMI, Second Life would work.

I tested to see if it was affecting anything else that ran on Open GL, Flash, or Direct X. Everything /else/ works perfectly. No errors, lockups, or crashing. It's just Second Life it seems.

This is a bit of a pickle for me, As I am going to be running three monitors soon. With an HDMI, DVI, and Active Mini Display Port connections to use them all.

Is this a normal issue to have Second Life lock up when attempting to use HDMI as a connection for monitors?

Please Keep in MInd Disabling HDMI still causes Second Life to lock up. I have to physically disconnect it for Second Life to work.

Technical Details.

All my software is updated to its latest verison.

My Windows is up to date. I use Windows 7, 64 bit.

Second Life Viewer and all third part viewers are also up to date.

I use an i5 CPU.

8 gigs of Ram

XFX R7970 Black Edition Double Dissipation video card.

Cheers

Also Do not tell me AMD Doesn't support OpenGL. I am well aware of that fact- but that isn't the issue here as it works just fine with DVI and MDP. The issue is something to do with SL and HDMI. Thanks.

Notes

I have freshly installed windows multiple times.

I have updated my drivers and reinstalled them.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled all viewers multiple times.

I have done RAM checks, There is no bad memory.

FIXED

See Kwakkelde Kwak's post below.

The answer may be here:

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a compact audio/video interface for transferring uncompressed video data and compressed/uncompressed digital audio data from an HDMI-compliant device ("the source device") to a compatible digital audio device, computer monitor, video projector, or digital television.[1] HDMI is a digital replacement for existing analog video standards.

There are a number of HDMI-standard cable connectors available, each of which can be used for any uncompressed TV or PC video format, including standard, enhanced, high definition, and 3D video signals; up to 8 channels of compressed or uncompressed digital audio; a CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) connection; and an Ethernet data connection. HDMI implements the EIA/CEA-861 standards, which define video formats and waveforms, transport of compressed, uncompressed, and LPCM audio, auxiliary data, and implementations of the VESA EDID.[2][3]   

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Check to see if you are using the proper cable for what you want to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Thank you for replying Peggy, However that's not my problem. Everything works just fine with the HDMI cable. I think if I was using an improper cable, more issues would be showing up with various other programs within my system. Sadly, that is not the case. :C

Thank you however.

Unfortunately I don't know too much about the hardware graphical stuff. It sounds to me as though your graphics card can't handle it, but that's just a rough guess from what you say in the third paragraph of your post.

However in the interest of comparing data, my computer currently uses DVI-through-HDMI (at 1080p and 1680x1080), and works fine in SL for all:-

• Official LL Viewer
  • Dolphin
  • Niran's

Previously it was HDMI-through-HDMI (at 1080p), the only viewer I tested was Dolphin, but that worked fine also.

The graphics card however is an Nvidia 670 GTX OC.

ETA: I also tested with integrated graphics, a Intel Z77 via HDMI-through-HDMI. Works fine there too.

My previous computer (now downgraded to media box so still in use) is connected to my tv with a HDMI cable. The card sitting in that box is a factory underclocked 9600GT (EN9600GT). No problems at all running SL, except for the client side lag of course.

Maybe it's a settings issue with the AMD cards. In another thread someone had the black/white issue and fixed it:

radeon HD 7850M - not working with viewer

Message 2:

"Go to control panel > apperance and personalization > personalize and select one of the "Basic and High Contrast" themes. I didn't even have to shut down the frozen viewer. It insantly loaded correctly."

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4082 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.