Graphics card out of date

dforl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

hoping for help as I'm not very techy.

I've tried to download SL viewer but keep getting an error that it cant run due to graphics card being out of date. I've look on line ot find the driver to update but there isn't on available, I think this may be beacuse my laptop was originally on vista but I updated to Windows 8. Is there anyhting I can do??

First try Windows update and see if the driver is there first, if not, I would check to see which card you have and visit the manufacturers website for up to date drivers.  Some drivers you may even find if you search Google and look for drivers for that particular card,  just make sure you specify Windows 8..

You can get the free program GPU-Z. It will tell you about your graphics card. You can then look at the SL System Requirements

With brand and model information you can go to the manufacturer's site and get any updates.

Since you are on a laptop, there is no easy way to update your graphics card/chip to a new one. BUT... look up the specs on your computer model and make sure you are seeing the graphics chip the manufacture says it has. If you messed up on your driver installs when you changed to a newer operating system, you may have a better chip the software cannot acces without the driver. In that case it can fool GPU-Z.

• 1 year later...

all this graphic crad out of date business is a lot of b.s., the simple reason no 4 computers will come back with the same error message, there is a error message for xp vista and 10, i have a pc that will run secondlife viewer and won't run phoenix, now if my graphic driver was out of date, then a  web site will direct you to the site to update it. the problem is not with your computer, it's because the site does not and will support the suggested driver on your PC, if you are able to watch youtube, then your graphics card is fine, it's just not supported. so who is going out to buy a brand new PC just so they can get on pheonix, and that's the prop, so if my cq57 presario can access secondlife viewer and can not access pheonix, then i know it's not my pc or it's graphics card or driver, it's the flawed system, i test systems and soft ware, it didn't take me ,long to figure out what the problem is, the problem is my system is not supported plain and simple, so as it appears all my money and time invested into second life and pheonix is a waste, perhaps they got all the research they need, so case and point nothing is wron with your pc, nomatter how old it is, it's only Mother Board, Hard Drive, Memory and software, how hard could it be ? even if every body went to the SIM'S i bet they would have this problem.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2728 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.