Graphics Cards

meriilion Vyper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The "old list" still stands as is for today.. I wouldnt get anything lower than a 9800GT or comperable

On THIS LIST

I would not use anything lower than a 916 ( See the colored graph lines with numbers in the middle")

I use a 9800 GT but it also was laggy with only 1 core CPU. so that tells you you need something better. atleast 1000 or better with atleast 1 gig or ram. best with 2

Lots of PC ram and lots of cpu helps lol

Those are the new keplar cuda cores. .. I personally have not heard of anyone having problems with the GTX devices using the keplar cores. The only complaint I have heard so far is some mesh modeling programs are not quite caught up to using keplar yet. But soon. I honestly don't know where SL is as far as being caught up on keplar, not even sure if it even takes advantage of multithreading cuda/keplar cores). It may be why some complain of lower FPS than expected, even tho they have the newest video card... But I can not be positive about that.. I personally have been wanting to upgrade my self. But having a hard time figuring out the best way to go before I make a big investment.  Some say that the GTX570 runs better than the 680 in some rendering applications. I think it just depends on what you plan on doing other than SL game play...

A bit further down is a thread where I whine about my upgrade from a gtx 550 to a gtx 660.   I whined because the 660 didn't show any improvement one busy sims relative to the 550 at the same settings.  However, with the 660 I was was able to upgrade the quality of my graphics with only small losses in frame rates. 

For my use the gtx 550 was a fine card, the additional quality I get from the gtx 660 is, for the time being, largely wasted on me.  (Don't tell my wife, because I am keeping the 660). 

But it really does depend on what you want to do.  If you want to run SL on mid-level setting something like the GTX 550 is a fine GPU and not terribly expensive.  If you have other applications that need more gpu power, or you want to run SL on ultra settings, you'll want to purchase a better card. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4163 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.