Graphical glitch with Radeon R9 380 Video Card (Solution, not a problem)

Daniela Wetherby

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi guys, hopefully this is correct section for this, this is my first time utilizing Second Life's forums. So, to start off my topic, I just had upgraded to a brand new  AMD GPU (mere days ago). A Sapphire Radeon Nitro R9 380, up from an old Nvidia 750 Ti. 

Now, previously with my NVidia card, I had never encountered this  graphical error (imgur link to example) before. I'm not sure whether or not to call it "artefacting" or "pixelation", but it shows up in that one static position at all times. Originally, I had thought it was just un-updated drivers (I only got this card around a week ago), but updating to the latest drivers still didn't fix it.

Googling hadn't provided much in the way of a solution, and I had kind of washed my hands with it. However, I decided to fiddle with my graphics settings to try and take prettier snapshots, and lo and behold, I found a solution. 

Under the "General" tab of Graphics, disable Bump mapping and shiny and that got rid of the artefacting and returned it to normal, thankfully. http://i.imgur.com/VcuS8gu.jpg This being an after snapshot with it disabled. I'm not sure if I wrote this out correctly but, I'm hoping it'll help someone with the same issue.

For posterity:

My setup

Mobo: Gigabyte Tech 990FXA-UD3

CPU: AMD FX-8350

GPU:  Sapphire Radeon Nitro R9 380

Viewer: Firestorm 64 4.7.5f os (I also replicated the graphical error using Black Dragon Viewer)

Welcome to the wonderful world of frecked up AMD drivers and of automatically "updated" Windows 10 "universal" hardware drivers

Expect such problems every now and then with new driver versions, the fact that Microsoft messes the already buggy AMD drives up for Win 10 additionally will make things even much worse.

AMD graphics, cheaper than Nvidia, and you get a lot of additional fun for the saved money from the really bad drivers on top of the cheaper hardware.

I'd return that AMD gpu to the store and get a Nvdia card instead

J.

Daniela Wetherby wrote:

Hi guys, hopefully this is correct section for this, this is my first time utilizing Second Life's forums. So, to start off my topic, I just had upgraded to a brand new  AMD GPU (mere days ago). A Sapphire Radeon Nitro R9 380, up from an old Nvidia 750 Ti. 

Now, previously with my NVidia card, I had never encountered this  
 (imgur link to example) before. I'm not sure whether or not to call it "artefacting" or "pixelation", but it shows up in that one static position at all times. Originally, I had thought it was just un-updated drivers (I only got this card around a week ago), but updating to the latest drivers still didn't fix it.

Googling hadn't provided much in the way of a solution, and I had kind of washed my hands with it. However, I decided to fiddle with my graphics settings to try and take prettier snapshots, and lo and behold, I found a solution. 

Under the "General" tab of Graphics, disable Bump mapping and shiny and that got rid of the artefacting and returned it to normal, thankfully. 
 This being an after snapshot with it disabled. I'm not sure if I wrote this out correctly but, I'm hoping it'll help someone with the same issue.

For posterity:

My setup

Mobo: Gigabyte Tech 990FXA-UD3

CPU: AMD FX-8350

GPU: 
Sapphire Radeon Nitro R9 380

Viewer: Firestorm 64 4.7.5f os (I also replicated the graphical error using Black Dragon Viewer)

There have been quite a few people having this problem and it appears to be specific to the AMD R series cards. It reproduces on all viewers on affected systems, even the V1 based ones like Singularity.

The only reason disabling Bump mapping & shiny "fixes" it is because this also disables Advanced Lighting model.  Disabling that setting really isn't a fix, it means you are locked down to low graphics quality settings - no materials or shadows.

The latest AMD drivers do not fix the problem, rolling back to earlier drivers does not fix the problem.

For details see http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-16829

This really needs filing as a bug report with AMD by someone on an affected system.

jonhnnyroleplay wrote:

LOL @ "buy Nvidia".....as of 11/24/15 AMD has rolled out its all new & improved Crimson Edition drivers that fix ALL known glitches. I know for a fact on a few builds I just completed (Windows 10 x64 & Linux x64 pcs) that the AMD Crimson Edition Windows 10 Home x64 drivers work smooth as glass on AMD R7 370, R9 380 & HD 7850 cards including SL. Also, the all new AMD Crimson Edition Linux x86_64 drivers are sweet now and work perfectly, including in SecondLife (AMD HD 7850, R7 370, R9 380.) Here is a rundown on what maybe causing your issues assuming it is not defective:

1- When switching from Nvidia to AMD or visa versa it is best to remove your motherboard battery for 10-15 minutes to clear the motherboard BIOS before installing the different brand card.You'll need to reset all motherboard's settings too: boot sequence, CPU fan speed, password(s), etc.

2- Did you completely remove the Nvidia drivers inclluding the Nvidia file from your Drive:C before installing the AMD card?

3- Did you turn off your antivirus protection before installing the AMD drivers?

ALL common install mistakes made by Nvidia and AMD fanboys/girls.

"Buy Nvidia...buy Nvidia"...days are gone ...welcome to the world of decent AMD drivers!!!! 

**way around wonderful W/10 is either install/upgrade w/o being connected to the Internet and already have your Nvidia or AMD drivers burned off to a CD or DVD...install them immediately after installing/upgrading to W/10....then connect to Net for MS updates and Windows to auto activate**

How much does AMD pay you? Or are you just a  fanboi who can't afford  a working nVidia GPU?

MD driver have sucked, still suck and y looking at 9 year history of AMD's poor gpu  drivers and slow progress in fixing them I  predict this will not change.

Regardingt Linux: Arch, the distro of my choice has removed the proprietary amd drivers fro their repos due to miserable performance, qaulity and massive issues years ago.

J

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.