Gamepad controllers?

Loki Eliot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The more i read and see of Oculus Rift enabled games, the more i wonder about SL support. More specifically about controls. For example if SL was placed on Steam, and then steam finally released their TV console, how would people control Second Life?

Is there or has there been any attempts for gamepad compatibility? Would be interested to know of any research into this?

Yeah, you can/could control the SL camera using an xBox 360 controller.

I will follow some references on this, it's been a long time since I've looked at the methodology. It was a part of the Joystick Flycam. Will update this post shortly.

ETA: Found [community.secondlife.com].

Another piece of hardware SL was once compatible with was the Logitech G15 Keyboard [Wikimedia.org], which had an integrated LCD display.

Thanks everyone who posted stuff. I have a good look through and tested a USB wired Xbox controller on my MAC using Tatibogle driver and gamepadcompanion from the appstore.

For the most part the controller worked ok, i had to map and invert a few things to work with movment and mouse in order to controll my avatar in third person.

In Mouse look the gamepad works best as the mouse becomes your head movment and left mouse button the fire button. Which is great for experiences that work best with mouselook and is promising when it comes to Oculus Rift.

For my Bashables Game which prefers a third person view the game pad was not suitable. I was able to map gamepad keys to gestures that activated special moves but that whoels set up relys to much on the user knowing what they are doign so cant realistically be used as a solution.

It was fun experimenting though

I recently finished getting the Razer Hydra 3D controller working with SL. I think new input devices like this will become much more important when we start wearing head-mounted displays and find ourselves unable to see our keyboards and we want to move around too much to always have our mouse hand in the same place. The example of SL on a TV screen is another reason to want something other than keyboard and mouse.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/Razer-Hydra-experience-or-interest-3D-6-degree-of-freedom/td-p/1962871

I use a logitech g-13 game pad (mini keyboard) as my "joystick" it's a nice little controller for my left hand, mouse for the right and keyboard when I need to type.

I also use a 360 controller rarely, but does ok for using certain vehicles. Riding bikes or cars is great with the left hand keypad if macrod right, controller for boats, hard to control planes.

This is pretty much my setup, minus the headset (use a much better one)

logitec-gaming-keyboard.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4011 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.