Friend "Ghosted"? SL acting like he's signed in when he isn't, he can't get online. Heeeeelp.

Vincent Devoix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, last night my partner and I got stuck on a ridable item.  The "Stand Up" button wouldn't work, so we both relogged.  

After a few tries I was able to get in fine, but his account has been bugged since last night.  

My minimap, radar, MystiTool, AND friend's list say he's online and still in the sim we were in.  ..He's not.  He's logged out and SL won't let him back in.  

I know a sim reboot will fix this, but the owner hasn't been on in a while.  Can anyone help us out?  This is a horrible first impression for the game, and I feel bad for wasting his time now.  I'd really like to try and fix it for him before he just drops the idea altogether.  :/

I would post in the "Answers" section or something, but I feel more comfortable asking in an open forum.

Hello Vincent. Your partner is no the only one. About 10 other residents reported the same issue last 2 days in SL Q&A. An old bug is back again. Here is a jira, created today. https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-28209 He can vote there and add his comment. If he is a premium, he can submit a ticket under Account Issues --> Second Life Web Login Issues.

Unfortunately there are no admins here in the forums to do that.   Even us Answers monkeys have to open a ticket.  I've been on with Live Chat 3 times now today getting my avatar un-ghosted.  Your friend will need to open a ticket or use Live Chat if premium.  Live Chat is fastest but I suspect if he's new he's probably not a premium account

--Cinn

LL won't gripe at you filling a ticket for him.  However, since this apparently on a private estate, they don't have much that they can do.  A sim restart is the probably the only way to fix the problem............other than time (in the old days it could take a few days for a ghosted avatar to finally get logged off).  Is there an administrator other than the owner for the sim you an contact?  Any resident with administration rights to the sim can get it restarted.

This appears to be a problem on some of the "Release Channel" servers that get code that's in the last stage of testing for general release - they release new software on a portion of the main grid to test it "live" before they update the rest of the grid.. They're introducing new server software that is supposed to help with region crossings but it's causing this glitch occasionally. The server people are aware of the problem and may "roll-back" to an earlier version of the software for affected servers.

--||-

Hello Vincent,
The very same thing happened to me some time ago and the good news is that it IS possible to log in, your friend only needs to do it at a certain time.

Four times an hour something in the server is updated, that takes a few seconds. During those few seconds the system doesn´t know/think that your friend is online already and will allow him to log in.

In my case those moments were every hour exactly and every quarter of an hour. So what your friend needs to do is start the viewer, follow the time closely and log in at the moment it switches from say 14:59 to 15:00 or from 15:14 to 15:15 etc. Be quick, it's only a few seconds.

When logging in it's probably best to have the name of the region the ghost is in typed in already as teleporting will probably log him out again (that happened when I tried anyway) but he will be able to walk and cross sim borders (I could anyway) At the moment avi and ghost are in the same region the ghost will disappear and things will be back to normal again.

When my avi was ghosted I got the advice to just keep trying to log in and ignore all error messages until I would get in. Maybe the moment to log in is different for different servers, I don't know, but I would sure try those "easy" times first.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.