FS 4.7.9 opens build menu when I left-click a HUD button

Vulpinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is anyone else getting this? It's happened often enough now (including about five times in the last twenty minutes) that I know it's not me doing something silly.

Specifically, left-clicking a HUD, any HUD it seems, sometimes causes the Edit box with the Move page selected to pop open. Not every time. I've not been able to spot a pattern that I can use to replicate it, other than just keep clicking HUDs and eventually it will happen again. Might be a day later, or the very next click. I hate intermittent faults.

I have removed a few of FS's keyboard shortcuts so I could repurpose them in gestures. I removed them from the previous version and this new one, by editing the menu_viewer.xml and simply removing the shortcut="whatever" part. As far as I can tell this is not the cause; my edits work as expected, as they did in 4.7.7. Even if I did something wrong, how could it cause the menu to pop up when clicking a HUD? However, just in case, the changed build tool menu excerpt is below.

Sorry about the weird formatting; UEStudio doesn't like these files for some reason.

<menu
          create_jump_keys="true"
          label="Select Build Tool"
          name="Select Tool"
          tear_off="true">
         <menu_item_call
			label="Focus Tool"
			name="Focus"
			shortcut="control|1">
           <menu_item_call.on_click
              function="Tools.SelectTool"
              parameter="focus" />
         </menu_item_call>
         <menu_item_call
			label="Move Tool"
			name="Move"
			shortcut="control|2">
           <menu_item_call.on_click
              parameter="move" />
         </menu_item_call>
         <menu_item_call
			label="Edit Tool"
			name="Edit">
           <menu_item_call.on_click
              parameter="edit" />
         </menu_item_call>
         <menu_item_call
			label="Create Tool"
			name="Create">
           <menu_item_call.on_click
              parameter="create" />
         </menu_item_call>
         <menu_item_call
			label="Land Tool"
			name="Land">
           <menu_item_call.on_click
              parameter="land" />
         </menu_item_call>
	   </menu>

Replying to myself (Well, best way to get sense sometimes, ;) )

Apparently it's a bug in 4.7.9, to do with going into and out of mouselook. It's a real pain of a bug for me - keeps popping up and blocking my view in the middle of battles where I'm using mouselook a lot.

Might actually have to downgrade for this one!

Yep, it's a bug on Firestorm 4.7.9.

I saw you already found the JIRA issue, but here it is for anyone else having the same problem: http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-19640

Workarounds for this one:

If you are wearing an attachment using llTakeControls, take it off.  That's the trigger for the bug.

It may not be viable to remove all attachments using llTakeControls though. This bug is mostly annoying combat people who use mouselook a lot & many weapons use llTakeControls in such a way that they will trigger this bug when they exit mouselook.

Switching to the LL viewer is a no go - although it doesn't have this specific bug, it has a related bug which breaks being able to shoot pretty much all weapons in mouselook when an attachment is worn using llTakeControls or the weapon itself uses llTakeControls - BUG-11602

Best bet honestly is to roll back to 4.7.7 if this bug is annoying you too much.

Thanks Whirly. As you say, it's most annoying during combat, but also crops up using my other HUDs (home-made RLV-based weapon and clothing changer, AOs, etc) because they all use llTakeControls so I don't lose them in a no script sim. Even my cigar uses it! It's only a problem during combat though because I don't often use mouselook otherwise.

As to switching to LL's viewer... not even this bug could make me leave Firestorm altogether :D

I know the JIRA says there's no fix available, but I really hope it gets worked on some time soon. I like the new FS version very much, especially the quick-change graphics presets.

I'll see how it goes and if I can train my fingers to do the back-into-and-out-of mouselook workaround quickly, before I get shot in the head while switching weapons.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.