Connecting to region... fails! Latest Release Issues v. 4.0.1.310054

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello folks.

I'll be probably lose my temper here, by now. So you're advised. I am furious against what is going on lately with our beloved official viewers... what the hell is going on with them?

Here my point... I love what Lindenlab does, always supported them even when others were attacking them but lately, as I don't miss a chance to tell, they turned me into the pissedoff guy I am now. yes, i'm writing by frustration.

You need me going straight to the point, right? Here we go with the list of what's going on really bad:

1. Viewer's log-in process gets stuck when it's "Connecting to region...", whatever release I try, from the main release to the candidate releases.

Solved: As I suspected it wasn't a matter of firewall {See Perrie? Told you :) } but some debug setting issue which I solved simply deleting the settings.xml file from Second Life user_settings folder. I had to work a bit on preferences panel to get back the regular settings I'm used to but at least I'm back in-world again!

That said... we still have 4 out of 5 massive fails — keep on reading below — in our beloved viewer and those are definitely a damn important big deal, so I really hope they get fixed as soon as possible, dammit!!!

2. Viever doesn't load profiles, search and internal web-browser, which result loading just a blank page, all of them, with no message of error or whatsoever. This happened when I still had the luck to enter Second Life {before issue number 1 came up today}, I thought might be because of the Candidate Release but happens to occur even with the main viever's release as well, something I could check trying out the Support webpage in the log-in panel.

3. Multiprocess — which is clearly related to the issue number 2, has been introduced even into the main viewer release — literally kills CPU performance... plugins were already a pain in the axx I had to live with till llceflib_host.exe appeared { you can check in yours Windows Task Manager }... I ran the viewer right now and checking the active processes on task manager I count 3 plugins already running and 5, I said f-i-v-e, llceflib_host processes without even logging in yet... a number that jumps up to 10 — at least! — as soon as I am in-world.

4. Viewers freeze — with consequent crash most of the times —  anytime I right-click on several menus, like trying to open options on members from my friends list {to access profile, offer teleports, paying money... etcetera}, or even the Control Panel.

5. Mesh uploading crashes anytime skin weights gets selected for previewing the model.

So there they are, 5 of the most annoying — I tried to be gentle here — issues encountering when running Second Life nowadays.

I know what many of you are thinking but Firestorm is even worse — at least for my PC which is not a piece of trash — so there's no way I'm gonna use that!!!

Is anybody having the same issues or is just me? And if you had those issues how did you solved them, if you did?

Sorry for my temper but patience — and I have really a lot, believe me! — is, after all thse years since my joining SL in spring 2007, now over!!!

I thank you all.

Cheers,

AlexD.

AlexanderD Schumann wrote:

Hello folks.

I'll be probably lose my temper here, by now. So you're advised. I am furious against what is going on lately with our
beloved
official viewers... what the hell is going on with them?

Here my point... I love what Lindenlab does, always supported them even when others were attacking them but lately, as I don't miss a chance to tell, they turned me into the pissedoff guy I am now. yes, i'm writing by frustration.

You need me going straight to the point, right? Here we go with the list of what's going on really
bad
:

Viewer's log-in process gets stuck when it's "Connecting to region..."
, whatever release I try, from the main release to the candidate releases.

Viever doesn't load
profiles, search and internal web-browser
, which result loading just a blank page, all of them, with no message of error or whatsoever.
This happened when I still had the luck to enter Second Life
{before issue number 1 came up today}
, I thought might be because of the Candidate Release but happens to occur even with the main viever's release as well, something I could check trying out the Support webpage in the log-in panel.

Multiprocess
— which is clearly related to the issue number 2, has been introduced even into the main viewer release —
literally kills CPU performance...
plugins
were already a pain in the axx I had to live with till
llceflib_host.exe
appeared { you can check in yours
Windows
Task Manager
}... I ran the viewer right now and checking the active processes on task manager I count 3 plugins already running and
I said
f-i-v-e
llceflib_host
processes without even logging in yet...
a number that jumps up to 10
— at least! —
as soon as I am in-world.

Viewers freeze
— with consequent crash most of the times —
  anytime I right-click on several menus,
like trying to open options on members from my friends list
{to access profile, offer teleports, paying money... etcetera},
or even the Control Panel.

Mesh uploading crashes anytime skin weights gets selected for previewing the model.

So there they are, 5 of the most annoying
— I tried to be gentle here —
issues encountering when running Second Life nowadays.

I know what many of you are thinking but Firestorm is even worse
— at least for my PC which is not a piece of trash —
so there's no way I'm gonna use that!!!

Is anybody having the same issues or is just me? And if you had those issues how did you solved them, if you did?

Sorry for my temper but patience
— and I have really a lot, believe me! —
is, after all thse years since my joining SL in spring 2007,
now over!!!

I thank you all.

Cheers,

AlexD.

Actually your proplem is not that uncommon.

Hanging up at 'connecting to region" is often indicative of a Firewall or AV problem: The Viewer needs to be whitelisted. This may not be the cause but generally is.

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-Second-Life-with-a-firewall/ta-p/1304539

If you google "Second Life Connecting to Region" you will find quite a few discussions about it.

Sorry Perrie, thanks for your reply but... of course "hanging up at 'connecting to region' "  is not an uncommon problem... if it was uncommon I wouldn't complain nothing else than my own PC alone but that being said... ain't a matter of firewall at all, trust me on that.

Can that rather be possibly a matter of some debug setting instead? I remember I tried to find some answer to my problem and made some changes there but can't remember which settings I did modify.

I've tried running Firestorm just to check if it was a grid issue but regularly logged-in with no hassle {which arrived right after logging in, but that's another story and I don't care}, so this must be a matter of viewer and I'm personally 100% sure this is all about that multiprocess-crap — no regret using that rough term, I said that once and I'll repeat it all over again... following what web browsing leaders like Opera or Chrome, and in some measure even Firefox, do is the worse policy ever LindenLab can choose... I'm a web designer and trust me when I say web browsers today are an attempt to regular CPUs and computers performance ever!!! — I sincerely hope they cut that llceflib_host process off straight away before they ruin the official viewer forever or at least give us the option to choose between multiprocess and monoprocess from the Preferences' panel.  Making that choice as optional, like Firefox does — and eventually give us also the opportunity to choose between various options like http profiles and 'old school' profiles for example — is the best thing they can do if they're gojng to keep on developing that multiprocess crazy idea. 

Dammit, I really don't get it... why the hell should they make big changes to what already amazingly works? The official viewer had its own bigtime problems but was still a pearl of technology, no matters what Firestorm's maniacs say, and were others than multiprocess the enhancements they should focus on. I love Second Life and I honestly hope they realize that, finally.

Cheers,

AlexD.

Glad the "Connecting to region.." problem is solved.

Running through the other issues...

Viever doesn't load
profiles, search and internal web-browser
, which result loading just a blank page, all of them, with no message of error or whatsoever.
This happened when I still had the luck to enter Second Life
{before issue number 1 came up today}
, I thought might be because of the Candidate Release but happens to occur even with the main viever's release as well, something I could check trying out the Support webpage in the log-in panel.

Make sure that your antivirus software is not blocking slplugin.exe or llceflib_host.exe.

If that wasn't the cause, then it's likely you are suffering from this bug: BUG-11265 - Profiles, Search and destination guide all go black when I try and use them

This bug is fixed on the Maintenance-RC viewer, which you can download here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/4.0.2.311770

Multiprocess
— which is clearly related to the issue number 2, has been introduced even into the main viewer release —
literally kills CPU performance...
plugins
were already a pain in the axx I had to live with till
llceflib_host.exe
appeared { you can check in yours
Windows
Task Manager
}... I ran the viewer right now and checking the active processes on task manager I count 3 plugins already running and
I said
f-i-v-e
llceflib_host
processes without even logging in yet...
a number that jumps up to 10
— at least! —
as soon as I am in-world.

That appears to be expected behaviour with CEF viewers, I've asked about this before.

On average I have 10-15 llceflib_host.exe processes running & this can raise to ~30 if I'm around a lot of media content.

I have yet to see a performance problem caused by this on my Win 7 or Win 10 box though.

One thing to check is that all the llceflib_host.exe processes have stopped running after you logout of the viewer. Sometimes when the viewer crashes, the llceflib_host.exe are not cleaned up & remain running, which can start causing performance issues.

If you feel the numerous llceflib_host.exe processes are a bug then best thing to do is to file a JIRA issue.

Viewers freeze
— with consequent crash most of the times —
  anytime I right-click on several menus,
like trying to open options on members from my friends list
{to access profile, offer teleports, paying money... etcetera},
or even the Control Panel.

This sounds like it may be CHUIBUG-222 - Long pause on first open of preferences or right-clicking a user in friend list

Did you see this problem when you tested Firestorm?  The bug is fully fixed on Firestorm as long as you were on the latest release.

If you usually use the LL viewer though, the bug will be most severe on that viewer because you will have more chat logs saved.

On the LL viewer the only workaround is to purge your saved chat logs or set chat logs to save in a new location.

The bug is caused by having lots and lots of saved chatlogs - it's the number of files rather then the file size that causes the problem.

Mesh uploading crashes anytime skin weights gets selected for previewing the model.

Hmm not sure what this one is. I can't reproduce it on the current LL viewer.

There were 2 older bugs for this crash but both are now fixed.

BUG-5335 - Certain dae files that used to display skin weights successfully now crash when ticking skin weights in model preview on ALL viewers

BUG-8061 - Crash after selecting 'Skin weights' checkbox when uploading the second model

File a JIRA issue for that crash & attach a repro dae file & be sure to also attach your log files

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2946 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.