Cloud Avatar

Aileen Zessinthal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been in SL since 2008.  I am not very tech-y or able to solve those kinds of things on my own.  I have run SL viewers on several computers, currently a PC that has run the viewer fine for several months.  I am using the latest SL V3 viewer.  Just in the last couple of days, going on day 4, my avatar has been a cloud to me, no matter how long I let it rez.  And only to myself, I know at least some others can see me.  The rest of the items around me rez quickly (especially in my cached places, and I can see them).  I can't dress or work with creating my furniture where I'm testing sit poses (etc), because I can't see me.  The only different thing that I think I did was download DAZ recently (but haven't opened it to use it) and it was after that I became a cloud, but I don't really know if they are related or just coincidence.  Anyone have any tips?  Thanks in advance.

Ok, now that I finally posted, I figured it out.  I mean, accidentally, not because I'm smart.  But maybe this will help someone.  I don't know how, but apparently I was not Wearing ANY shape at all (didn't know that was possible).  When I went into my own default folder that I keep in my inventory, and saw my shape unworn, I corrected that, and immediately I became visible.  So I don't know what happened or why, but problem solved.

Glad you found a fix. Changing the worn shape is one of the quick fixes that sometimes works. Here are the rest of the possible fixes and an explanation of why the problem happens.

The long explanation for the problem is here: Avatar Render Problems: Ghost Cloud Smoke Ball Ruth

You will find some recommend turning on RenderUnloadedAvatar in the Debug Settings, which is used to force early render of an avatar that has not yet downloaded to your computer. Your viewer fakes it using the Ruth avatar (original default avatar) for the missing parts.  I consider it a useless setting for resolving the problem and suggest you avoid it.

While it is uncertain there is speculation that use of the setting may contribute to avatars appearing nude to others.

Understanding what is happening to cause the problem can help you figure out what needs fixing. So…

Your viewer bakes a composite image that is made up of your skin and clothes. The viewer must download all the items of clothing, skin, and shape before it can render your avatar. The viewer sends the baked (rendered) image to the SL servers. You will see your avatar nice and sharp as it uploads the image.

Next the viewer downloads the composite image it just uploaded. I think it is an artifact of how the viewer works handling all avatars the same in spite of already having the image you need. Your avatar goes blurry as the composite downloads. Then, if things went well, you see your avatar nice and sharp a second time. If any of this fails disastrously, the avatar renders as a cloud.

The avatar as a particle ball generally indicates the system cannot find some part of the avatar it needs to render it. The challenge is finding which part of your appearance is causing the problem. The step-by-step for that is in the article linked to above.

Some recommend switching to the test avatar to fix the problem.  I think that is sort of the last resort and requires more effort than needed. There are several easier possible fixes.

Changing your active group often forces the avatar to render. This is always my first trick tried. I don't understand why that works but a load of people claim it works and I too will testify it does.

Changing your bald is one of the easy ones. Just wear a different bald. I have a folder with my basic look, i.e., skin, shape, bald, etc. I have two different bald items there to switch between when I have a problem. A good choice for troubleshooting is to wear one of the balds from the Inventory’s Library collection of SL avatars.

Pressing rebake (Ctrl-Alt-R) often forces the AV to render. If not, wait a full minute and try again. If the av hasn’t rezzed by the third try give up on that trick.

Those using multiple viewers seem to have this problem more often than others. Use a separate cache for each viewer and you can avoid a load of problems. If one of the viewer you use uses HTTP Get Texture and/or HTTP Inventory Get and another doesn’t then they most definitely should have separate caches.

If the simple fixes above have not worked read these two articles: Avatar Render Problems: Ghost Cloud Smoke Ball Ruth (same as above) and Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection. Because of the upload and download sequence checking you connection is important.

• 4 months later...

Aileen! I LOVE YOU!!! hahahaha....I have been a cloud for THREE days...I uninstalled, I reset my modem...I rezzed in my inventory ...I rebaked a hundred times...did the bald thing...I never thought I didn't have a body cause everyone else could see me! I did what you said and after three days of frustration...POOF..there I am!

Thanks so much!!!

• 3 weeks later...

You fix this by searching for "girl next door bald" and wearing it. I have had this problem in the pasta nd reaserach but yet i always ended up having to do character test when this happemned. Then i figured out a better way to fix it by wearing  the girl next door bald. Hope I helped.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.