Can't seem to make SL look... Pretty.

Dawn Khaos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm so jealous of all the pictures I see in the marketplace with their flawlessly smooth avatars with no jagged edges! Wah... So I know my laptop and graphics card aren't the best, I have Intel r hd graphics 4000 and they insist that it supports antialiasing but I see no effect when I turn on 4x. I also can't seem to figure out the windlighting everyone's been mentioning. I hope it's possible to smooth out SL since I'd like to properly show off the skin I made. Is there any hope for this laptop or should I hope instead for a better laptop?

avatar pictures at MP and almost all flickr (or other) are photoshopped or modified by special windlight settings, you don't have to be worried, just try out different settings, you can always return to default. Onboard graphics as Intel don't have the same powers as the mid and high end dedicated cards. Advanced Lightning is not supported i think?

You can also play with your windlight till you have such look, it's only very doubtfull the total scene will look pretty if your avatar looks at its best.

Maybe you need to use your graphic card’s driver utility, if it has one –it may be basic, but perhaps it has an anti-aliasing setting of its own, which may be affecting the results (or lack thereof) in your viewer.

Failing that, if your purpose is to take high quality pictures, you can always try using the largest resolution the viewer will allow you in Snapshot-to-disk mode, up to 6016 x 6016, without it crashing. Since the aliasing effect is always going to have the exact same width of 1 pixel, the bigger the overall picture, the less noticeable the aliasing effect will be by comparison, and if the final picture you plan on sharing will not be that big, that means you will be downsampling it (for example, from 6016 x 6016 to 1024 x 1024), which has the additional effect of concealing the aliasing effect even when viewing at 100% zoom.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3194 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.