Can't connect to SL "We're having trouble connecting" - Stuck at requesting region capabilities

CadenzaInVivace

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What does the error message "we're having trouble connecting. There may be a problem with your internet connection or Second Life grid" mean? It throws that error regardless of the location I try to log in (last location, home, safe hub, etc). There's no server maintenance and I get the splash screen when I launch viewer.

CadenzaInVivace wrote:

What does the error message "we're having trouble connecting. There may be a problem with your internet connection or Second Life grid" mean? It throws that error regardless of the location I try to log in (last location, home, safe hub, etc). There's no server maintenance and I get the splash screen when I launch viewer.

Just a wild guess, but maybe it means there's a problem with your Internet connection.

Is your connection lower speed or capacity than usual? Are you downloading or using your connection for anything else? Do you share your connection? Are there issues with your ISP? Four possibilities out of nearly infinite.

You're the only one who can give more information - you're the one using the problem-connection.

Try following the tests/instructions in this blogpost: Nalates' - Troubleshoot your SL Connection

Connection speed: 30mbps (speedtest.net)

Windows 8.1, 64-bit.

It gets stuck at "requesting region capabilities... attempt 3" then will boot back to splash screen with that error message. Does that mean I'm actually able to connect to SL and there's just something wrong server-side? I use Firestorm and I'm unable to find where to check for the IP and server name, as it's not in help -> about. Any simple test I could do to see if it's connecting to SL servers at all?

CadenzaInVivace wrote:

It gets stuck at "requesting region capabilities... attempt 3"

Aha! This is a common point of failure, see Rolig's answer here: https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Technical/Requesting-region-capabilities-attempt-1-2-3/qaq-p/2473637

It's been reported often here, try searching the forum for "Requesting Region Capabilities"

It's unlikely that anything's wrong with the server. You may have trouble connecting through to the servers, though. You can test connection to SL servers directly by trying to ping or traceroute any region's server IP or name. They're typically sim99999.agni.lindenlab.com (where 99999 is a valid sim-id).

Thanks Freya.

Below is the ping from cmd. Seems fine to me though, not sure why I'm unable to log in.

Pinging sim10611.agni.lindenlab.com [216.82.52.173] with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 216.82.52.173: bytes=32 time=85ms TTL=50Reply from 216.82.52.173: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=50Reply from 216.82.52.173: bytes=32 time=85ms TTL=50Reply from 216.82.52.173: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=50Ping statistics for 216.82.52.173:    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:    Minimum = 85ms, Maximum = 87ms, Average = 86ms

Looks normal for the US/North America, but of course will differ from the performance you get while logging in. Much more than 32Bytes.

To see what this changes to while logging in, use ping <addr> -t (where <addr> is the target IP) during a login attempt. The -t switch will make the ping command loop infinitely, you can break this with Ctrl+Pause/Break.

I don't recommend looping the ping for long, but see if you can score a ping in the 1000s or higher. Ideal would be to compare this against someone in the same geographic region (not necessarily the same ISP, or state) performing the same test. Unfortunately that rules me out, am in Europe.

Tried the ping loop while logging in, highest ping was around 400, mostly they were 80-90.

Pinging 216.82.52.173 with 32 bytes of data&colon;Reply from 216.82.52.173: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=50Reply from 216.82.52.173: bytes=32 time=87ms TTL=50Reply from 216.82.52.173: bytes=32 time=84ms TTL=50Reply from 216.82.52.173: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=50Reply from 216.82.52.173: bytes=32 time=414ms TTL=50Reply from 216.82.52.173: bytes=32 time=110ms TTL=50Reply from 216.82.52.173: bytes=32 time=101ms TTL=50Reply from 216.82.52.173: bytes=32 time=88ms TTL=50

Does this rule out anything though? Like could it still be possible that it's some router/firewall blocking some ports, despite having a rather normal ping result? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3013 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.