Can't See Profiles Or Search - SL Viewer 3.5.0

BobCates

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been on SL for about a month.  Ever since I upgraded to the SL version 3.5.0 viewer,  I haven't been able to see profiles (my own and others) or search inworld. 

Searching the knowledge base and internet I couldn't find anything which pinpoints the situation.

Is there an outage with inworld profiles under release 3.5.0?  In otherwords, can others under SL Viewer 3.5.0 see profiles inworld?  I'm trying to identify if this is a common issue, or something to do with my setup.

BTW. my system is under Win XP Professional, using Chrome Browser.

Thx

There's no issue preventing display of Web profiles.

Unsure about WinXP + Chrome. Some versions of SL require Mozilla Firefox to be installed separately (this is especially necessary for Media On a Prim), installing Firefox 'in full' or stand-alone may help you. I typically install Firefox on all my SL-active PCs just because it does vastly improve the responses from the integrated viewer (which is a cut-down version of Firefox, shipped without many 'hooks' into the OS).

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new - Get Firefox

If you can reach http://my.secondlife.com/bobcates using Chrome (I can), there's no network/technical reason you shouldn't be able to see it in-viewer. The issue will be something to do with your installation.

Freya,

Thanks for your tips.  I tried using Mozilla but that still didn't solve the issues of seeing profiles inworld.  When I stopped using Chrome as my default browser (instead used either IE or Firefox), sometimes while trying to view a profile, the window will show  white, then the picture of the person's profile (without text)  then the turn gray.  Also, one time when using Firefox, I had a message saying "application error."

I have no problems viewing profiles with the SL website (even under Chrome).  Unfortunately, I find it cumbersome to use as when I'm inworld and want to look at someone's profile, since I cant' just cut/paste the person's name and look up on the SL website, I have to jot the name down.  Plus, once I bring a profile up on the SL website, there is no immediate IM availability to that person from the website.

I've tried using other viewers (Firestorm, and text only Radegast) and they have no trouble pulling up profiles. But for other reasons,  I prefer to use the SL Viewer as my main viewer.

I doubt this is the problem because if it were, you should be seeing error messages, not just blank windows. Still, just in case it's helpful: In Preferences / Setup, you need to "Accept cookies" in order for Profiles to work, and "Enable Javascript" for Search. (I just noticed that these preferences don't seem to take effect instantly, but kick in after a try or two.)

I sometimes get these problems with the Media plugin failing (search and profiles not working using internal browser), and it only seems to happen to me with the official viewer.  It happens about 1 in 5 logins for me so I don't worry about it too much - and I don't know what causes it.

My system has stopped seeing profiles as well, I get a white box saying I have to allow cookies, I have allowed cookies.  I checked SLpugin was not in virus vault, had that one happen before, I have actually added it to my allowed stuff now along with SLvoice.  Not sure what else to try. 

I use the profile section of people a lot to put a little note there to remind me where I meet someone and in what context, as I can never keep track of such stuff, and there are some manners of meeting I would really hate to mix up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have this same issue. I cannot view profiles and I get a white screen or a white screen with a message about cookies needing to be enabled. I use Firefox and I manage my cookies manually, but all the SL domains are set to "allow for session".

PS, not seeing profiles is not so much of a problem but I also can't search. If the page comes up instead of staying white, it never switches from the default "you might be interested in these popular items" screen to what I'm actually looking for.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3791 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.