Can no longer use SecondLife, viewer drops connection immediately.

Reynard Todd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For the last few months, out of nowhere, without changing hardware nor client, SecondLife refuses to stay connected. I have been using the Singularity viewer but as their help forum isn't helping I decided to try out the official viewer again... only to experience the exact same issue.

Within 10 to 20 seconds of logging in, all avatars freeze in place, yet the world continues to load and render normally, I am still able to communicate with other users... until around one minute when I am suddenly disconnected. Every now and then I will stay online (this is extremely rare), but if I teleport somewhere I'm almost certain to hit the same freeze/drop soon after.

I have used SL for many years almost flawlessly but now I can't. No graphics settings make a difference, raising/lowering bandwidth doesn't help, I've flushed my cache, tried multiple accounts, clean reinstalls, alternate clients... nothing works. The only thing I can see is that the network shows very high ping spikes.

Nothing else is being affected, infact i currently have the fastest and most stable internet connection I have ever had at this location, it is ONLY secondlife that doesn't work, and my ISP has said that after reading my traceroute logs the issue cannot possibly be on their end.

For reference I'm on ADSL2, wired, on an MSI Z97 Gaming 7 mobo with a 4ghz i7 4790K, 16gb RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate and a Radeon R9 290X card.

Please, can someone help me?

Reynard Todd wrote:

it is ONLY secondlife that doesn't work

Not unusual, SL likely pushes your connection way more than anything else you're likely to do online.

This includes Torrents, Youtube/Netflix, Multiplayer gaming. Even doing all three of those at once is a drop in the bucket compared to downloading a complex scene in SL.

Could try replacing your interface or router. If either are old then failures are expected. It's more likely a network issue (anywhere down the line) than your PC's rendering capability.

As an addition, clearing your cache will only ever make this process harder.

I have infact tried to connect on entirely different kit, I booted up SL on a friend's PC, with his router and cables at his home... the only commonality is the ISP... who is adamant no error occurs on their network. They insist it's SecondLife at fault, I am of course dubious of this but wish I had something more concrete to go back to them with.

It's very hard to accept it's an issue with my equipment though when the exact same issue occurs in multiple locations on different hardware, not that anything's impossible but that just doesn't sit logically with me. That plus the network ping spikes and times out only once it goes beyond my ISP's local network.

Thanks for your advice though... I have to get a tech out soon to relocate my connection to the other end of the house so I guess I'll see what happens with that then...

No problem. Network hassles are annoying.

It could well be up-stream (outside of your local network), especially if you're in a remote area or your line is poorly maintained. My philosophy is to examine the parts you do have control over, before you start trying to get large corporations to fix things for you.

I actually spent 3 months in the middle of last year dealing with this exact problem. All of a sudden I was getting line dropouts up to 20 times a day. I had techs out testing my sockets, running new cables direct from line in to router, replacing the splitter and basically ruling out any possible household issues before I could get the telco who owns the lines to finally do something. I eventually got them to replace the cabling for the whole length of my street which immediately fixed any line speed and stability, all was working just fine until SL stopped working in November.

If it is an up-stream issue, I'm probably screwed. Given that everything else is working just fine, I can't imagine anyone's going to be willing to look further into it if all that won't run is one online game/program...

Does sound like your line may be finnicky, to put it lightly.

Where I live, I have a folder full of digital photos (taken by me) of our Telco (once a nationalised, state-owned corporation) insulating cable boxes by using plastic 'carrier' bags, panelling being left open, lots of wet and rained-on components. Makes serious Internet use a fun proposition also.

Good luck with your hunt.

Here is an alternate possibility. How wel organized is your inventory? Do you have any single folders with many, many hundreds of items in them? There have been reports of crashes when the viewer tries to load folders containing a lot of items in once place.we are generally talking 1000+ items but it depends. It might be worth while submitting a ticket, because I know support has a tool that can help if that is indeed the cause.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.