Awkward Permissions on Library content

arabellajones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Some clothing items used by the Initial Outfits are very well made. For instance, a 40-fold reduction in complexity for a pair of boots, compared to something that looks similar in the Marketplace.

Unfortunately, not all of the outfits in the Library are easy to access.

Problem One: All the outfits in the Initial Outfits folder can be accessed through the "Choose an Avatar" menu option. (There are variations in the name with different TPVs, but they all seem similar enough to be recohnisable.) But that tool doesn't appear to use the name of outfits, and they all have names in the Library. Maybe you can recognise the face, but what if you want a text label, for example, "I'm using the Diesel Bill boots from the Library."

They're a nice pair of ordinary ankle boots, no big heels, no extra straps, and low complexity.

Oh, you right-clicked on them, and chose "Wear", and nothing happened. Should it? Try the Derrick shoes. Right click and wear works for them. What's the difference?

This is Problem Two. Some items you can get at without using the that "Choose an Avatar" tool. Some you can't.

People were telling me it was easy, and nothing they said worked did work.

It looks like a difference in item properties, specifically what copy permissions are set. The entry in the Library is owned by Alexandria Linden, and none of us users are Alexandria Linden. But some items are set so that Anyone can copy them, some are not. If that copy permission is there, I can do all the usual right-click things, and an accessible copy is made in the normal Inventory (the "Choose an Avatar" thing does the same for the whole outfit.)

Note that last sentence: whichever method you use, you end up with the same result.

So I can't see why there needs to be this difference inn the permission setting. OK, there might be a few items with different settings for the Next Owner, but however you get it out of the library, you're the Next Owner. All this choice of "Anyone: No Copy" seems to do it make life awkward.

It rather looks as if the "Choose an Avatar" tool behaves as if it were the owner.

I've given two examples. There are others. It looks as though the August 2016 outfits all have this problem

Without the names of the outfits visible in the "Choose an Avatar" tool it's trial and error finding the outfit with the right footware. It's about as useful as the foldername/filename for your editor being EMACS. (I remember it as "Eight Magabytes And Continuously Swapping" and there is some meaning buried there, but it's hardly obvious) OK, instead of EMACS, use vi. Or nano. All editors, but hardly obvious names. What, you're using icons on your desktop? Fine, so describe the picture... Voice or text, it doesn't matter. And you have no way of changing the icon, you're stuck with what the programmer chose. Good luck if you're colour blind.

Anyway, that's what the Lindens have ended up with. On some things they're worse than MS-DOS 2.11

arabellajones wrote:

The entry in the Library is owned by Alexandria Linden, and none of us users are Alexandria Linden.

I don't think anybody are Alexandaria Linden actually. It's a placeholder account LL created jsut because they needed an "owner" for the library items. The name itself is a dead giveaway of course but yu can also check the profile and see that it's blank. ;-)

arabellajones wrote:

Problem One: All the outfits in the Initial Outfits folder can be accessed through the "Choose an Avatar" menu option. (There are variations in the name with different TPVs, but they all seem similar enough to be recohnisable.) But that tool doesn't appear to use the name of outfits...

It doesn't but that's an easy proble to work around. Choose an avatar from the menu and a named folder with all the items is created in your Clothing folder.

arabellajones wrote:

Some clothing items used by the Initial Outfits are very well made. For instance, a 40-fold reduction in complexity for a pair of boots, compared to something that looks similar in the Marketplace.

Unfortunately, not all of the outfits in the Library are easy to access.

Hmmm, yes, seems something's got messed up there. The library copies of the new beginner avatars do not work. Strange nobody seems to have noticed until now. But again, just wear all the avatars from the menu on after the other and you have everything nicely stored in your regular clothing folder, fully wearable and with all the right names. It takes a few minutes if you want to grab them all but you only have to do it once.

arabellajones wrote:

Anyway, that's what the Lindens have ended up with. On some things they're worse than MS-DOS 2.11

I think this explains a lot: http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/spaghetti-code

"But again, just wear all the avatars from the menu on after the other and you have everything nicely stored in your regular clothing folder, fully wearable and with all the right names. It takes a few minutes if you want to grab them all but you only have to do it once."

And this can be considered good UI design?

arabellajones wrote:

And this can be considered good UI design?

I don't consider any part of any SL viewer, official or third party, present or past, to be good UI design. That's something we just have to live with if we want to be in SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2692 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.