Avatar above ground despite despite correct hover settings

EligibleJam

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2920 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have set the Hover slider in the Edit Shape menu at 50% (Edit Shape > Body tab).  My Hover Height is at 0 (right click on avatar > Appearance > Hover Height).  My AO is off.

Despite all the above, my avatar is still floating slightly above the ground level.  What else could cause an avatar's vertical position to be off?  Are there other shape settings I should fiddle with?

EligibleJam wrote:

I have set the Hover slider in the Edit Shape menu at 50% (Edit Shape > Body tab).  My Hover Height is at 0 (right click on avatar > Appearance > Hover Height).  My AO is off.

Despite all the above, my avatar is still floating slightly above the ground level.  What else could cause an avatar's vertical position to be off?  Are there other shape settings I should fiddle with?

Your shoe base could have too high of a platform height, or, if they're the old "foot and shoe" combinations, the entire assembly may be too high up your leg. Also bear in mind that the Second Life avatar has no way of knowing where the "ground" really is and just plays animations as if it were floating in space. Depending on the animations your avatar plays, if your feet are exactly on the ground with some animations they may either be floating in space or digging into the ground with others. It's common to have shoe makers set things so the avatar floats slightly - this isnt' usually noticeable with the standard camera position and avoids situations where your feet dig into the ground.

I am not really understanding what it is you have done.

Typically we right click on the avatar and select the Hover setting there and adjust it until things look right.

I think most of us avoid using Hover in the Appearance settings (which changes the value in the specific shape we are wearing). If a shape is No-Mod, it is restricted anyway. I make my own shapes so I do occassionally set a Hover Height in Appearance for an outfit, but then I use a special shape just for that outfit.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2920 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.