Are armhf CUDA accelerated Linux viewers a possibility?

Yakov Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3398 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

An interesting thought, but it would run like a dog, assuming everything fell into place.

Compiling for the ARM (Hardware Floating Point) likely isn't so bad - although a lot of work to compile all the libraries and dependancies, and you would never get Vivox (ever) nor the proprietory LibKakadu (using Opensource J2K though instead).

Could a TPV Dev or a sufficiently aware layman do it? I'd say - yes!

The main and deciding issue though will be speed and likely memory, with the killer being OpenGL in my eyes.

The ARM CPU isn't exactly speedy, you can see this just running a standard destop environment. Memory is a big issue, 512MB of RAM won't cut it.

The CUDA cores mean little, the viewer is not using any optimisation there, and honestly, I'd rather use the video cores as shaders than for compute.

OpenGL could be the biggest issue though, the drivers for most low power chipsets are notoriously buggy and feature incomplete in terms of OpenGL.

I'd say forget it. The ARM SOCs are just not up to task to natively run this behemoth application that is the viewer. As mentioned above SLGo (maybe) or if on Android; Lumiya.

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

No. Linux is on the way out for SL. You'll be lucky to even get a Linux viewer in the near future.

I don't know where you get that ridiculous idea from. :smileyindifferent: Seriously.

Linux viewers will exist until the day the Lab shutter SL - and then long beyond that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3398 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.