Application error (0xc0000142) when running latest beta/dev clients

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone,

im having problem with ALL viewers past 2.5.2 (223426) with not very descriptive message

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)"

Doesn anyone have similar issue (and eventually how to fix it), since my wild guess would be that if that pass from build to build most likely I will not be able to run next release, which is not acceptable for me since I refuse to use 3rd party clients (tho I really like Kirstens viewer but thats different issue).

Here is my config taken from 2.5.2 (current release)

Second Life 2.5.2 (223426) Mar 10 2011 17:38:45 (Second Life Release)
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q8200  @ 2.33GHz (2337.7 MHz)
Memory: 3328 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (Build 2600) compatibility mode. real ver: 6.0 (Build 2900)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 460/PCI/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 6.14.0012.6658
OpenGL Version: 4.1.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8j zlib/1.2.3 c-ares/1.7.1
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v6.4.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.750000
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1400

Thanks in advance

EDIT AND SOLUTION

When you install your viewer in directory where installed, usually C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer2\  there will be file called winmm.dll. In my case that was the file causing trouble and when I have deleted it, viewer started to load and work correctly. Apparently file is responsible for some sound and joystick functions, but there is one in your system32 directory so this one can be deleted.

Hope it will work for rest of you with same problem.

Wakizashi Yoshikawa wrote:

Hello everyone,

im having problem with ALL viewers past 2.5.2 (223426) with not very descriptive message

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)"

This is a common Windows error which shows when certain system files are corrupted, like USER.DLL or GDI32.DLL. This error might also occur when (re)installing servicepacks which cause .NET Framework apllications to be 'broken'.

In case of a clean unaffected system I'd suggest you (re)install .NET Framework components. Perhaps check your 'Control Panel' -->'Software' for which versions already were installed.

Googling will refer you also to possible virusinfection and/or registry pollution. You'll have to tackle those issues first before continuing with the client.

Wilhiam Hydraconis wrote:

This is a common Windows error which shows when certain system files are corrupted, like USER.DLL or GDI32.DLL. This error might also occur when (re)installing servicepacks which cause .NET Framework apllications to be 'broken'.

In case of a clean unaffected system I'd suggest you (re)
components. Perhaps check your 'Control Panel' -->'Software' for which versions already were installed.

Googling will refer you also to possible virusinfection and/or registry pollution. You'll have to tackle those issues first before continuing with the client.

Thanks for reply Wilhiam.

However, does this means that anything after 2.5.2 is using other version of .Net since as i stated version 2.5.2 works fine, as well as kirstens S20 and S21 builds (S21 using same repository from snowglobe if im not mistaken)?

As of viruses, nobody can be sure 100% but if Nod32 doesnt detect anything odd, MBAM as well, and Combofix stays quiet, unless i have picked up some 0day (well not so 0day considering im having this problem for some time, but didnt want to clutter forums untill i have tried to fix it myself first), I would say im clean of viruses/trojans/rootkits and other nasty stuff...

Wakizashi Yoshikawa wrote:

Thanks for reply Wilhiam.

However, does this means that anything after 2.5.2 is using other version of .Net since as i stated version 2.5.2 works fine, as well as kirstens S20 and S21 builds (S21 using same repository from snowglobe if im not mistaken)?

Admitted .. was going for the obvious here by googling and without all too much attention to your specifics. Sorry about that.

I realise it could also be possible that your beta-client relies on .NET functionality your system does not have (yet). Here's a link to all .NET Framework clients. .NET 4.0 is latest. Perhaps installing that might help your problem. I do suggest though you start installing from bottom to upward versions and see if your problem persists.

Good luck.

Wilhiam Hydraconis wrote:

Admitted .. was going for the obvious here by googling and without all too much attention to your specifics. Sorry about that.

I realise it could also be possible that your beta-client relies on .NET functionality your system does not have (yet). Here's a
. .NET 4.0 is latest. Perhaps installing that might help your problem. I do suggest though you start installing from bottom to upward versions and see if your problem persists.

Good luck.

Thanks again, I didnt wanted to be rude or anything, its just dont know, like obvious thing :) I usually dont have problem with starting that maybe something wrong is on my side, however, as said, other (Kirstens) and older (now 2.5.2 since 2.6 is latest which im downloading to see if it will run) works nice.

And I so hate .NET framework... I think i have like few gigs of HDD overhead form them. Dont you love policy of 0 backward compatibility ;)

Anyway, Im going to try downloading latest .NET and see if errors will be still there... Thanks for direct links and time and effort to help me :)

Cheers

EDIT

And as I have suspected, latest release is not working. Im going to try going with latest .NET, but something tells me that its not going to fix it... And as said, I hate using 3rd party viewers...

Well.. Application error (0xc0000142) is just too common to get a good indication to your specific problem. Since your system is clean and has no other applications that return the same error, I guessed ( and yes .. a guess.. ) certain *.DLL files you need to start the beta might be missing files. I also know from own experience the SL client relies on .NET instructions.

This error you have I had to solve with a (.NET) fix that is availiable on the site of the Phoenix-viewer (Other Downloads). You might give that a try ( but i think it's simular to a .NET 3.51 installation ) if all else fails, eventhough you don't like to use their client ( which is a shame .. good client .. should really give it a try if you'd like to ) .

Well its really not my fault that .NET spit out so "descriptive" error messages ;) Thus making googling harder than usual.

Its no longer beta/devel issue, now since official client is updated to 2.6 it basically restrict me from using official client. And since I never had any issues with previous builds its really hard for me to accept that issue is ONLY my side. Fact that seems like not many users have this issues, might point that there is issue my side, but I would really appreciate at least debug log telling what the hell went wrong.

Reason I dont like Phoenix is because I loved Emerald previously. Since devs were banned from that viewer, Phoenix IMHO turned to errrr... well not so good as used to be when called Emerald. My 2 cents, maybe im biased towards some developers, maybe im just stubborn, just build features in Phoenix are great, but lack of latest user experience of V2 kinda sucks. And Im one of those idiots that actually thinks that v2 interface is more intuitive than v1.2x ;)

Anyway, Im going to try that fix from Phoenix site to see if it will work, if not, im going to use some 3rd party untill official v2 gets broken so much that majority of people wont be able to run it so LL will fix it properly (yeah not likely gonna happen, i know).

Thanks again for your time

Cheers

[rant]

EDIT

Not to mention that LL user support went from stupid to idiotic for us "non 1337" (Read: Non premium). Technical support tickets are restricted only to Avaline (which i have no idea what is actually), and Account issues... well... its not really account issue, but its most important that I can request memorial but no e.g. viewer issues.

[/end rant]

Snapshot_003.jpgSecond Life 2.6.1 (224685) Mar 21 2011 07:35:11 (Second Life Beta Viewer)

Second Life Server 11.03.22.224783

CPU:          Intel® Atom CPU  330   @ 1.60GHz (1600.07 MHz)
Geheugen: 1792 MB
OS Versie: Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Grafische Kaard Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Grafische Kaard: ION/PCI/SSE2

Windows Grafische Driver Versie: 8.17.0012.6658
OpenGL Versie: 3.3.0

Sorry Wakizashi-san. No errors like you have. Machine is a netbook.

From http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/winmm/23783/ :

What is winmm.dll doing on my computer?

winmm.dll is a module for the Windows Multimedia API, which contains low-level audio and joystick functions. winmm.dll is a system process that is needed for your Windows system to work properly. It should not be removed.

____

I don't see winmm.dll running on my own system (W7) , so I assume it  is Windows XP-specific. If you have renamed/deleted it I'd suggest 2 things first :

1. Reboot your system and check if any errors occur while loading processes.
  2. Check if your sound and joystick still work.

But hey .. if that solves your issue .. happy to know it does. Please let me know the results.

Hallo,

No it's not work for me
I rename winmm.dll
I updated the NET Framework 4
and passed the antis virus
Now that the viewer starts
home page opens Secondlife
crash but before I click "Connect"
excuse my English I use a translator I am French

• 2 weeks later...

I think they are using an incompatible winmm.dll for us WinXP users.  I have to rename or delete the winmm.dll file in the SL2 folder every time I install the weekly upgrade.  I am running WinXP SP4 32 bit latest updates.  If SL is not going to fix this problem, then the solution, rename the winmm.dll file as XXwinmm.dll or delete it entirely, should be in a permanent FAQ.  I'm surprised more have not complained.  Maybe few members use the latest SL2 viewer, or no longer use WinXP.  WinXP is fully supported by Microsoft until about 2014, so it's hardly an obsolete operating system, and is listed as one of the operating systems for SL2.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.