Another BSOD

Ardentika

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So i've never had a problem with second life unitl now.. when I updated the viewer I started getting random BSOD saying driver_irql_not_less_or_equal. It's hard for me to believe that it's a hardware problem, cause my computer has been whitstanding way heavier games than SL without even lagging. I've tried updating drivers, scaning and deleting all malware and virus , redownloading the viewer but all it helped was to keep me playing longer and after an hour... BSOD again. I've increased the cache and lowered the graphics but still nothing.

Here are my PC stats.

Intel® CoreTM i7, 3630QM , 22 nm , 2400 MHz

Cache: 6144 KB

RAM: DDR3 , 8 GB ,1600 MHz

Nvidia GEforce GT 635M 2GB

This doesn't relate to Second Life - something is wrong with your computer. Perhaps it only manifests through the mechanisms that SL uses (e.g., Second Life runs in OpenGL, most of the other games you play will probably be DirectX), and so you only see this event when using Second Life.

Better results will probably be found on Google than this forum, as hardware experts (I don't include myself - I prefer to work higher up) are in short supply (and time is in even shorter supply), and you'll likely be here all day as we trial and error each possible case, without knowing anything about how your computer works. Your own first-hand experiences - or those of a technically-minded friend or professional - will greatly outweigh our potential for assistance.

Some questions follow if you choose to stay:-

• What's your OS?
  • What's your graphics driver and version?
  • Network interface and driver and version?
  • BIOS version?
  • Basically, all the stats. Pretty please.

Some links follow if otherwise (as always, be cautious of downloading 'fixes', I don't vouch for the integrity of any site):-

Trust me, I've read so many threads on Google but really no answers. And since this occurs only while playing SL I decided to give it a shot here.. 

• What's your OS? - Windows 8 64- bit
  • What's your graphics driver and version? 1. Intel HD Graphics 4000 (10.18.10.3325) , 2.Nvidia GeForce GT 635M 2GB (latest update, 353.30)
  • Network interface and driver and version? Intel Centrino Wireless -N2230 driver v. 15.16.0.2
  • BIOS version? K55VJ. 202

Thanks for your response. It can't hurt to try.

I'd recommend wired Ethernet - not wireless - when connecting through to Second LIfe. Many wireless links (esp. to older routers) aren't sufficient. Ethernet ports also often tend to have a little better stability and far less potential for interference, so it reduces the possible points of failure. Remember that a typical viewport into Second Life requires as much 'work' as 30 browser sessions - not tabs - all loading at once, it can require industrial-grade networking.

It does look like this issue has been reported before on your Asus K55VJ.

Some things to try:-

• Hop over to wired Ethernet
  • Check for any open issues (yellow question marks) in Device Manager. This may indicate driver failures.
  • Check for a new network interface driver, here. You may need to perform a clean install of this driver (by uninstalling the old one first). There will probably be multiple drivers - replace or update all of them.
  • Follow the guidance recommended for this problem presenting on exactly the same system, here.
  • If your GPUs are working together (e.g. SLI or A-series processors), disable this feature.

Please let me know how things go. :)

Here's what fixed it for me. Even though my Inter Graphic card said to be up to date I tried to update it manually since automatically it always said that this driver is not suitable for my PC although it was. After I did that the problem disappeared, at least for now. I've been playing for hours and nothing happened, which is good. I'll consider it fixed for now, thank you very much for the help and the links you gave me! :)

No problem!

It did sound like a driver issue, but it's always gonna be hard to guess which when the only clue is a failure at the IRQ level.

Perhaps as a future reminder, ensure you update your graphics card drivers manually - not through Windows Update - since there are well-documented issues with automatic driver updates.

Okay so everything was fine until today. I got the BSOD again, driver_irql_not_less_or_equal netio. sys... updated my wireless drivers, second life crashed after that one more BSOD. I am seriously dazed how could I play for 2 days without a problem after updatingy graphic drivers and now I get this again...

I've manually updated my wireless drivers, started the viewer again and it lagged then BSOD. I was in City Of Lost Angeles which is an rp place with CCS, so when I moved to some other place the lagg disappeared so did the BSOD. So I'm guessing it has something to do with this place, but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

It's not clear that you've completed all the steps laid out above - I am reluctant to add advice when there are still tasks outstanding.

It does not matter where in-world this BSOD occured - the reasoning is the same. Your network interface is going ka-splat due to load, interference or poor configuration. The more work your poor interface has to do, the more likely you'll blue-screen out.

Again, the cause of this error is due to one or more of the following, roughly in order of liklihood:-

• Poor performance/failing interface
  • Bad device drivers
  • Corruption in registry
  • Bad RAM
  • Corruption to netio.sys
  • Hardware conflict
  • Poor hard disk writes/virtual memory issues

The list items in blue show the conditions we're suggesting you test against right now - and remain outstanding. Our ability to diagnose scores the zero percentile beyond these two steps. We don't know anything about your registry or hardware performance.

Again, please confirm you've tried everything listed in earlier posts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.