Annoying crashed

friscolives

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just bought a new computer. The computer is windows 10 and it runs on an AMD A10 processor. It has 8 gb of memory. I am using the latest version firestorm viewer (bento.) The computer is 64 bit, although I think im using a 32 bit viewer from firestorm. For some reason only when i'm using SL the computer crashes. It will be running fine on SL for an hour or so, then I get a blue screen with a message saying the computer has run into a problem and needs to restart. There is a message stating the device is stuck in driver thread (something like that.) I restart the computer and go on SL and very soon it happens again. I have contacted Lenovo (my computers manufacturer) and have updated the drivers and still this is happening. Any suggestions?

Hello Frisco :)  Have a look at this:

How to fix Windows 10 Thread Stuck In Device Driver error

Since you mention that you contacted Lenovo, I expect that updating your drivers, perhaps even the BIOS, is what they suggested.  Keeping the system up to date is good, but may not be the solution to these crashes.

The AMD-A10 CPU’s (also referred to as APU’s) have integrated graphics, meaning that the CPU can also function as the “graphics card”.  By making the need for a dedicated/discreet graphics card unnecessary, this provides a more affordable solution for users who’d use their computers for very light work like browsing, playing 2D games or watching movies.  They can’t handle heavier workload, rely heavily on the system’s RAM, and can crash. 

I can only guess that your computer does not have a dedicated graphics card.  If so, and if it’s a desktop system, you can upgrade this desktop and switch from integrated to discrete graphics by adding a graphics card to its motherboard. 

Thanks for the advice. I ended up adding a video card.  I think the issue is the radeon card and my very low watt power supply. My computer is a Lenovo and they make a lot of proprietary hardware. I would have to special order a new power supply from them in order to upgrade it, and I can imagine that would cost a lot. I was able to find a GT 730 video card for $60 on sale. The card supposedly requires 300 watts, but its working fine with my 280 watt supply. I'm now getting SL in high quality at 17-45 frames per second which is great for me. No more crashes :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2632 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.